fin weight options- advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry weight is meaningless.

My fins buoyancy (in fresh water):

Hollis F1, size XL: -2#
Hollis F1 LT, size Regular: -1#
Deep6 Eddy, size L: neutral

@lermontov - it sounds like you might really like the Hollis F1 LT fins. I like mine, a lot. But, I only use them when diving in a wetsuit, with back mount doubles. For drysuit, I want fins that are more negative (to keep my feet from floating) and the regular F1s are great for that. For wetsuit diving in anything except back mount doubles, the Eddy fins, being neutral, work great (for me).

From the point of view of buoyancy you're right. But from efficiency point of view, all other factors being equal a lighter fin is more efficient, for a fin has to accelerate, stop and reverse direction and accelerate again. The force required to do that is proportional to the mass of the fin by Newton's Law and force * distance = work to move the fin. This neglects the work done to push the water so it may not be a large factor but at least theoretically a lighter fin should be more efficient.

Sorry for jumping in and resurrecting this (relatively) old thread... I'm also looking for a pair of light weight fins with neutral-ish buoyancy. I currently use a pair of Mares X-stream for travelling, as they are very light (1740g/pair including bungees for size XL). They are nearly neutral in the water, being slightly negative. However they are a bit too flexible for my liking, and are less than ideal for frog kicks or back finning. In order to not screw up my trim, I need something that is as close to neutral as possible. I've read your comments about the Deep 6 Eddy, and they look promissing. How do they differ from Tecline LightJets? They have a very similar appearance...

Back
Top Bottom