Eon core versus sheerwater perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have and use both

Eon edges Shearwater on 2 counts

1 Graphics means you can take quick glance and see the info you want

2 Screen. Eon has a wider viewing angle - with SW you have to make a conscious effort to twist your wrist to view. Also in bright conditions SW has more reflective screen

Regarding the Suunto lockout, the ONLY way to lock it out is to bust through your deco ceiling (go shallower) for more than 3 minutes

In this case, you've either got a problem and bigger things going on, or you shouldn't' be diving deco

I've made some pretty agressive dives and quite a few planned deco divers. I've never had a lockout in any of the 700 I've made on the Eon

I have and use both

Eon edges Shearwater on 2 counts

1 Graphics means you can take quick glance and see the info you want

2 Screen. Eon has a wider viewing angle - with SW you have to make a conscious effort to twist your wrist to view. Also in bright conditions SW has more reflective screen

Regarding the Suunto lockout, the ONLY way to lock it out is to bust through your deco ceiling (go shallower) for more than 3 minutes

In this case, you've either got a problem and bigger things going on, or you shouldn't' be diving deco

I've made some pretty agressive Rec dives and quite a few planned deco divers. I've never had a lockout in any of the 700 I've made on the Eon

I don't have deco training, but I don't think it's relevant to the cases I have seen.

I hope you have had 'deco training'. It's fundamental to every dive. Every dive is a decompression dive.

The differentiation is between;
- dives where your tissue loading is such that you can ascending directly to the surface, no-stop dives.
- dives where your tissue loading precludes you from a direct ascent to the surface, decompression stop dives.

If you have dived, even on the surface you are still decompressing.
This should have been made clear during your diver training.

If you dive to the edge of the no-stop time, or multi level dive to the edge of the no-stop time you can be within seconds of transitioning from a no-stop dive to a decompression stop dive.
Remember diving to the edge of the no-stop time is aggressive diving.
This also should have been made clear during training. Especially if it is standard practice over a series of dives.

On Uwatec's, where I saw them lock out, on both occasions it was when the user had been diving to the edge. In both cases, the computer had changed controlling compartments during the ascent.
There is exactly the same risk with all dive computers.

The risk of this is mitigated by doing a safety stop at the end of a dive. This reduces the likelyhood of the controlling compartment changing in the later parts of the ascent, and allows you to confirm it is still safe to ascend.

I hope you have had 'deco training'. It's fundamental to every dive. Every dive is a decompression dive.

- dives where your tissue loading is such that you can ascending directly to the surface, no-stop dives.
- dives where your tissue loading precludes you from a direct ascent to the surface, decompression stop dives.

I't unfortunate that I've had to remind some instructors of this. They were teaching no-stop dives were not decompression dives, as they were taught by their instructors. Normally the zero to hero type, but not always.

Sigh. Yes, I am aware of the basics of decompression theory. I _still_ don't think it's relevant to the computer lockups I experienced.

Sigh. Yes, I am aware of the basics of decompression theory. I _still_ don't think it's relevant to the computer lockups I experienced.

It was a thought, I only have around 1500 dives with Suunto's.

The only time I've seen mystery lock outs as I said is with the Uwatec's, but I found them less tolerant than the Suunto's.

On the occasion we have locked Suunto's out its when we bent them, (intentionally missed indicated stops,) when doing accelerated decompression (or trimix) either on runtime, or with a different computer running as the primary. One of the nicer features, was the ability to switch the Suunto to Gauge mode to avoid this. Now that most computer will allow multiple gases (, trimix), and in water switching, this is non-issue.

So can't offer any other suggestions, at this time.

One quick thought.
If the computer has mysteriously locked you out, why would someone want to get back in the water with the lock out still in place?
If a computer has locked you out due to missed stops, why would you want to attempt to continue diving, until you had fully decompressed?

Even the infamous "revert to table" statement on the VR3, was an in water warning that the dive profile had been abused (stops missed). The computer continued to give you best guess decompression information, with the caveat, that it was trying to fix the unfixable.

If you really want to reset the computer, just take the batteries out. That will scrub all alarms and lockouts and all residual nitrogen data from the dive series.

One quick thought.
If the computer has mysteriously locked you out, why would someone want to get back in the water with the lock out still in place?

Not sure if that's directed at me specifically, but I had a backup computer that I switched to. Also a Suunto, as it happens, but an older model without nitrox support. The backup computer showed no sign of any sort of model violation.

Not sure if that's directed at me specifically, but I had a backup computer that I switched to. Also a Suunto, as it happens, but an older model without nitrox support. The backup computer showed no sign of any sort of model violation.

It wasn't you. At least I don't think it was you.

Someone said that the problems with Suunto's was that when they locked you out, you where locked out until they cleared. So this was a reason not to use a Suunto.

I think if they've locked you out, you probably don't want to get back in the water until its cleared. - That goes for any dive computer.

I have and use both with AI.

Suunto Eon. Mounted with surgical tubing
- less clunk then the perdix AI on the wrist.
- screen size is similar and brightness is similar
- minor con, internal lithium ion battery requires charging every 20-30 hrs of diving (never been a problem with me)
- algorithm used in suunto is very conservative (I think this is a plus for recreational diving, definitely a con for technical diving)
- using multi tank AI, you can only stay connected to one tank at a time. For sidemount, it's a bit of a pain. Perdix allows you to stay connected to two tanks
- suuntos interface and graphics is more customizable and easier to read
- I prefer the full circle suunto compass vs 120 degree only on the perdix. But they both work fine
- better graphics and interface for timer vs perdix simple timer
- I prefer the 3 big button of the suunto vs the two pressure button of the perdix
- currently cheaper then perdix ai I believe

Perdix AI
- big plus, can swap standard AA batteries yourself so no expensive battery change fee every 5 years. No problem if its low on battery if you keep a spare or go to the store.
- pro can handle 2 transmitters at the same time
- screen provides a lot more technical information (pro for technical dives)
- screen provides less info for recreational diving then the suunto (con for recreational diving)
- much better algorithm and settings for deco and mixed gasses
- better resale value

Summary - any technical or deco diving the perdix ai is a must. If your 100% sure your only going to dive recreational forever, go suunto core.

- using multi tank AI, you can only stay connected to one tank at a time. For sidemount, it's a bit of a pain. Perdix allows you to stay connected to two tanks
Not true. The EON can connect to multiple tanks.

From the user manual:
“3.32. Tank pressure
Your Suunto EON Steel can be used with multiple Suunto Tank PODs for wireless tank
pressure transmission
.”

It’s not limited to 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom