Douglas 'Popeye' Frederick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfw

Contributor
Reaction score
Those who've been around here a long time may have encountered Doug 'Popeye' Frederick. 15 years ago, divers all over the country had dove with Popeye and knew him as someone who would befriend any diver, and give them the shirt off his back to help them become a better diver, or just to go diving.

For the last several years, Popeye had been pursuing another passion in his life, historic railroads, and had been working on the narrow gauge railroad in Chana, NM. (www.cumbrestoltec.com) His health recently took a turn for the worse, and he passed away Saturday (25 July 2020)

The world and diving has lost one of the great ones.

Bummer - Popeye was a very cool dude---I did a few dives with him years ago.

You haven't lived until you have been in a Popeye and Airhog sandwich. There aren't too many guys like him still around.

A name from the past. rec scuba, right?
Remember being in boats with him in the mid-late 90's Boynton Beach and also in Panama City Beach.

A name from the past. rec scuba, right?.
Yup..one and the same.

I remember him from rec.scuba. Interesting character for sure.

I remember him from rec.scuba, he was a character, RIP Popeye

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom