Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently (I'm always changing my mind) my list for the mk1 would be:

I would be surprised if apnea functions similar and from my quick initial testing they didn't.
But this isn't something I have not started to use often like I had planned on.

I did also just check and apnea modes does not give a lockout warning if you use it currently.

I still wonder about your two friends who experienced messed up deco times. Since malfunction of equipment does absolutely happen I surely hope they reported these instances to Garmin right away.

However sometimes in some of these instances some people will blame the gear for their own lack of paying attention to or missing the details that they shouldn't have missed.

Now I am in no way implying that this is what happened to your friends and instead only stating it is ALWAYS possible even for the most advanced/well trained individual to have user error that goes sometimes unnoticed or sometimes the blame is passed off on the equipment.

Probably like most that have read what you previously stated are extremely interested in hearing the specifics and the entire story.
Apnea does the same lockout procedure that Gauge mode. With that being said I'm putting the story together for dive tech cayman and I can send it to you as well.

But, why would you?

If you dived in Gauge/Apnea mode within the last 24 hours, then that means you potentially have inert gas still in your tissues that your computer doesn't know about. So, using it in Dive mode within 24 hours is not really safe.

I guess if you had set it to Apnea mode for some freediving, then (days later) forgot to change it to Dive mode, splashed (on scuba), it went into Dive mode, and you realized immediately and wanted to surface immediately and change it to the correct mode, that would be a reason. It sounds like you should make sure you don't do that. And if you do, it means you failed on your pre-dive checks to make sure you had the right breathing gas and conservatism programmed, so maybe you deserve to sit out for a day and think about things. :)
The issue that came with mine was during my DM training that we were going from surface to 5 feet below. I believe the reason why mine went to gauge mode is that it was hitting my wetsuit/skin just right enough to switch it off dive mode. I have since removed gauge mode and apnea mode cause I do not freedive or have a use for gauge mode. With that being said I have not had an issue with it because I only use single gas and multi-gas on the computer and removed the other water activity platforms/modes off the computer. The thing that I do not understand is the reasoning for gauge mode, no one is diving should be using it and it is basically a different name slapped on apnea mode.

edit: I'm gonna start combining these messages so I don't spam this forum, still new to this whole forum thing.

People talk about QOL improvements, that's a huge one.
I'm quite surprised it isn't mentioned anywhere as a new feature. The only time I didnt enjoy this feature on my Atmos was when i passed out with my watch on and it was like a flashlight at night every time my arm moved enough.

Apnea does the same lockout procedure that Gauge mode.

Hmmn odd as Gauge is the only mode that gives a lockout warning when you select it. I also don't think that Gauge mode gives a surface interval but could be wrong there as i did remove it from my watch.

Is it possible what you noticed was the the apnea modes were the only other dive modes to function during a gauge mode lockout?

With that being said I'm putting the story together for dive tech cayman and I can send it to you as well.

While I do appreciate that, I would only like to say that I think it is probably best to post open on the forum (not that I would post a PM) since many have and will read what you stated previously and most likely will be interested to hear what happened as well.

The thing that I do not understand is the reasoning for gauge mode, no one is diving should be using it and it is basically a different name slapped on apnea mode.
I think its just if you want to follow tables with timer and depth and what ever other things it might display. :clearmask:

I'm quite surprised it isn't mentioned anywhere as a new feature. The only time I didnt enjoy this feature on my Atmos was when i passed out with my watch on and it was like a flashlight at night every time my arm moved enough.

I believe its controlled with notifications in the Mk2. ie: if you have notifications between 9p-5a turned off, it won't turn on you.

Contactless is also considered far safer than swiping.
Card skimmers are far more prevalent than NFC skimmers.

My receipts don't list the last four digits of my credit card nor expiration date, like I've seen after using credit cards. It's all 0's with using NFC, both with Google Pay and Garmin Pay.

I've yet to see a specific Garmin Pay display. I just look for the NFC logo and try it. So far, it's worked. It's been contactless, except for one pizza joint that wants me to sign a copy of the receipt.

While I do appreciate that, I would only like to say that I think it is probably best to post open on the forum (not that I would post a PM) since many have and will read what you stated previously and most likely will be interested to hear what happened as well.
:clearmask:
I am ok with pm people the story about what happened to him but, I do not believe it is my responsibility to post a story that is coming from a friend. If he wants to post the story that is his decision cause I'm sure garmin or someone will contact him via the forum. I try my best to keep out of posting forums but, I will add my input when I believe so.

Did the Mk1 have auto backlight? I don't remember it having it. Mk2i would auto backlight when I checked my pace this am on an early run.
I have found that it does sometimes but not others. I have been trying to work out under what conditions the backlight turns on but haven't as yet.

One situation where I know the auto backlight works. I often go for a walk at night and I use the walk activity. I start the walk activity and when I have GPS I hit the start button. I then hold the bottom left button so I get the default watch face. This is because on a walk I'm more interested in the time that my pace, etc. In this situation, if I bring the Mk1 up to my face the light definitely comes on.

When I've used it for an early morning run without bringing up the default watch face, I don't remember auto backlight working. I haven't been for a run on a while but next time I do... actually... let me check it now.... Oh... it works. I wonder if this was fixed in one of the firmware upgrades.

Edit: I should add that auto backlight does not appear to work in watch mode (with the default or custom faces I have tried) or in dive mode.

The thing that I do not understand is the reasoning for gauge mode, no one is diving should be using it and it is basically a different name slapped on apnea mode.
Gauge mode and Apnea are two completely different things. Gauge mode is for SCUBA diving using tables (or at least not have a computer working out NDL, etc.). Apnea is for free diving.

As to why people might use gauge mode, check out this thread (this is just one example):
https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...d-other-dive-computer-questions.601433/unread

Gauge mode and Apnea are two completely different things. Gauge mode is for SCUBA diving using tables. Apnea is for free diving.

As to why people might use gauge mode, check out this thread (this is just one example):
https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...d-other-dive-computer-questions.601433/unread
In a sense yes we can all agree that they are "meant" to be different items. On the computer, I would say otherwise due to the fact that they both carry the exact information it's just that gauge mode has an active depth rate so you don't go down too fast and it has a compass. It does not give an NDL or deco information, so within not having that info i just see it being apnea mode with a compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom