Trying to decide on a good cold water regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep6 is a good affordable option. I dive in mid-40s to mid-50s and have never had an issue with them. They're comfy, the service is awesome, and they're very easily customizable for whatever rig you have.

@Major_rage

You mentioned that your LDS is apeks so they are also aqualung and oceanic.

As I said above it's mostly personal preference but I would get either a apeks xtx50, the cold water version of the new le3end or a core supreme depending on what other features you want.

In winter here we see water temps in the low 30's people dive a variety of cold water rated regs without issue.

Now if you were going to antarctica might change things a little. But I'll leave that up to those who do that.

I just got new regs I did a core supreme for single tank and a set of xtx50's for my doubles.

I dove/dived my Deep 6 Scribble first stage and Signature seconds in Lake Michigan last summer. It was 41 at the bottom and I had no issues. I've had the set for almost two years and used it in Lake Michigan (August - coldest), Santa Catalina (December - cold), Cozumel (January - not so cold), and quarries/lakes around the Midwest (summer - cold) and always been really happy.

Apeks XTX 200, so far very good performance in cold waters.

You just gotta see this photo again!!!

full.jpg

I've got two of these, the cup and the ruby thing is interesting

Service Parts Kits for Poseidon Regulators

Regulator Replacement Parts - Poseidon First Stage

pleased to find these

Thanks DGX

Thanks Bigbella

I know a buddy and I dive doubles (so 4 1st stage and 4 2nd stage) in a hole that stays 43f with all Deep 6 regs, never had an issue (with the regs, we on the other hand do tend to freeze a little).

Deep 6 usually go on sale around black friday, Apeks are much cheaper in the UK if you can get somewhere to ship, Poseidon's are supposed to be the cats meow, but expensive and expensive to get serviced. (I only own D6, so have zero experience with the others).

I don't really think you can go wrong with any recommendations that you'll find on here though...usually wise to stick with whatever your shop services.

I have used a few, and still use them all in different ways.

My first reg set (circa 2001) as an AquaLung Glacia with a Titan first stage. It served me well for years, diving in temps down to 38F. It is now on my pony/deco bottle.

My second set was a Scubapro G260V with an MK25 first stage (circa 2011). This set also served me well for years, including under ice and several other non-ice dives in the 36F to 38F range. It is still the reg set that I use for a singles configuration.

My twinset uses Apeks XTX50s with their TEK3 first stages (bought used this year as the entire kit-- tanks, regs, harness, etc.). I am new to these, but have used them down to around 40F with good performance so far.

I would not hesitate to buy any of them again, adding support to the previous advice from Cdncoldwater that "really any cold water / environmentally sealed would be good"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom