Where can I go in a time of Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn’t catch from your post when exactly you were planning on going.
I don't know. I'm getting desperate.

Lake Tahoe but it’s cold up there and anything below ~120 gets pretty chilly. 47 degrees at 130 last month. Unfortunately it’s off-season for boat operators. But you could still get to the Rubicon wall.

Have you thought about California? The capt. /owner of the Escapade in Monterey is a tech diver and runs a lot of charters for GUE. Colder water but amazing diving. I don't go that deep but I am told that there is amazing life off the deep pinnacles.

Lots of options in SoCal, too, which might be a slightly shorter drive. Lots of boats going to the oil rigs and other sites that are at least that deep.

Offshore 25 miles of St Augustine is the Red Snapper Sink. Two boats run charters in the area. It conveniently has ledges around 140' 240' and 320'
50/50 shot on weather December thru April and vis is also 50/50 year round. When it's good though, it is amazing. Little to no current at depth as it is a hole.
I did mine at 40 fathom grotto , which was cool. Met Hal Watts and some other pioneers of deep diving, mix and caving.
It's where I learned that in any group of tech divers, the fat guy is probly the instructor.

Have you considered Hood Canal in Washington? You can easily get deep, even from shore dives, and winter diving offers the best visibility. And there are lots of vacation rentals around Hoodsport (e.g. the Yellow House) that could support a whole class.

YSS Dive in Hoodsport offers trimix fills. Services

If you decide you want a change of scenery (and to get a fresh water rinse), you can drive up to Lake Crescent and dive on the Warren Car (about 170 feet) and/or the Steele Car (about 200 feet) in crystal clear water.

There is a lake in Arkansas that, reportedly, has depths to over 400'. I can check and report back. I know that is a bit of a haul from CO.

DW

ETA-The information appears to be false. People were looking at elevation, not depth. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom