Backup mask fogging solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosenit2

si respiratio sub aqua amet
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Was hoping someone had an ingenious solution. I carry a low volume backup mask in my exposure suit pocket when diving. If I start a dive with either my primary or backup mask ihave no problems but if I switch to backup mid dive it fogs badly. I have tried putting anti fog on it before stuffing in pocket to see if enough of it would stay on to prevent fogging to no avail.

aside from standard anti fogging treatments has anyone found a reliable way to prevent backup masks from fogging?

Was hoping someone had an ingenious solution. I carry a low volume backup mask in my exposure suit pocket when diving. If I start a dive with either my primary or backup mask ihave no problems but if I switch to backup mid dive it fogs badly. I have tried putting anti fog on it before stuffing in pocket to see if enough of it would stay on to prevent fogging to no avail.

aside from standard anti fogging treatments has anyone found a reliable way to prevent backup masks from fogging?

I've dove with people who treated with anti fog and then sealed it in a zip lock bag, never tried it myself so can't say it works , not sure how they clipped it off ???

I just use spit for defog. Maybe you could pull the backup mask out of your pocket, remove your reg, and hock a couple loogies in there before swapping masks? I haven't given this a shot, so wouldn't consider it an ingenious solution, but it's what I would try :)

Hi from Stream2Sea! While we haven't tested this specifically - I think our defog could work very well for this! You can look up the reviews from other ScubaBoard members also to get their take on our defog. It's really a great defog and very long lasting. @tridacna @racanichou @formernuke have all tested and reviewed our defog. NEW Reef-friendly Mask Defog - Stream2Sea.com

Ok, I wasn't going to reply but since I got mentioned....

I have had twice that my mask my or someone else's mask has fogged with @Stream2Sea or J&J baby shampoo the first was me. I was assisting with classes I treated my mask and then did OW dives 3 and 4 aiding the instructor and then played victim for a rescue class. During the rescue class my mask was around my neck, got dropped in the ocean and recovered, was removed and placed around the rescuers wrist several times, in other words spent more time being rinsed in the ocean then on my face.

The second was a nose breather.

Both cases a defog will not work no matter which.

Fog is caused by temperature differences a defog will help compensate for this to a limited extent but any defog has limits.

Being a backup mask it will always be rinsed in the water you dive in so just do what I do if I switch to mine or if my primary actually fogs,.... flood and clear.

Thanks @formernuke - we're grateful for the honesty and candor with our defog! It's super helpful to us and others! And happy to hear that we helped with your fogginess @rock92!

Plastic bag.
Better than nothin but still not great.

Ok, I wasn't going to reply but since I got mentioned....

I have had twice that my mask my or someone else's mask has fogged with @Stream2Sea or J&J baby shampoo the first was me. I was assisting with classes I treated my mask and then did OW dives 3 and 4 aiding the instructor and then played victim for a rescue class. During the rescue class my mask was around my neck, got dropped in the ocean and recovered, was removed and placed around the rescuers wrist several times, in other words spent more time being rinsed in the ocean then on my face.

The second was a nose breather.

Both cases a defog will not work no matter which.

Fog is caused by temperature differences a defog will help compensate for this to a limited extent but any defog has limits.

Being a backup mask it will always be rinsed in the water you dive in so just do what I do if I switch to mine or if my primary actually fogs,.... flood and clear.
No defog can do anything about the temperature differences inside/outside your mask. It’s all about surface tension .... nothing magic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom