Handheld vs. Canister question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have a few OrcaTorch D550, and a D530 along with a few other handheld lights.

My impression/opinion is that a canister light is not really necessary unless it has a significant burn time and that burn time is necessary due to the length of the dives one plans on doing or it is super critical to have extended battery power such as deco dives coupled with wreck/cave penetration.

I can dive for over an hour with the D550/D530 without issue. I typically carry 2 as part of my standard configuration and definitively 2 on a night dive.

If you were asking me, I would recommend saving your money on the D611 or any other canister light unless the type of diving you do dictates the need. For your LOB trip, pick up a spare D550 and perhaps a couple of quality spare 18650 batteries so that you have a backup torch to carry on your night dives and plenty of charged batteries in case you use your torch at all during the day.

The D550 torches are compact, lightweight, and powerful.

I would think that the cord of a canister light is an entanglement hazard and should only be used if the type of diving absolutely requires it....the only thing, in my opinion, a canister light provides on a routine recreational dive is the power cord prevents the light head from falling into the abyss if one was to drop it.

I am not a fan of the soft goodman glove the D550 comes with. I wear my dive computer on a bungee mount on my right forearm/wrist. If I am concerned about dropping my torch I clip the boltsnap to the bungee loop closest to my wrist...the torch then sits comfortably in the crotch of my thumb with a couple of fingers lightly curled on top, kinda like in this picture:

View attachment 620019

But, the D611 does look like a nice canister torch...if that is what you want then go for it.

-Z

@Kriet - All this above.

@Zef covers it all.

Orcatorch is based in China. I imagine they have been hit hard by Covid-19. I am not apologizing for them and have no concern for what you ultimately decide to do, but my experience with them from a customer service standpoint, albeit well before Covid-19 appeared on the world's stage, was very positive and responsive. Perhaps, given the pandemic/crisis, and how close they are to ground-zero, a little patience can be spared for them.

-Z

Good point! I honestly have no idea if that has been a factor in my own situation. I do generally think they have good products, and Xtar is as much a gamble as the rest of the "lower end" of the budget lights.

I was genuinely happy with the D500+ until it stopped working. I will try and contact them again, and if successful, it will be my backup until I have issues with the Xtar....

At this point, I just cannot justify the prices of BigBlue, UK, Light & Motion, or Light Monkey. And, being outside of the US, DGX torches are hard to justify after the shipping cost to the Philippines....

A few years ago I received an Orcatorch 610 as a gift. Don't use that style light, so it's never been out of the package and I've been meaning to post it for sale.

You don't need a can light.

Get something with multiple brightness levels, so you can turn it down when you realize you don't need something very bright.

I like the Xtar lights that @tursiops mentioned. I have 2 of the D26 1600 and 2 of the D26 Whale (~1000 lumens). I would recommend the D26 Whale, for a couple of reasons.

You don't need the brightness of the 1600 on a night dive. And, in practice, it is really not very much brighter than the Whale, at all.

The on/off switch on the 1600 does not have a mechanical lock. It's an electronic lock. You unlock it by simply pushing and holding the button. That means that mine turns on by accident all the d*** time! In my dive bag. Clipped to my BCD. All the time, and annoying. The D26 Whale has a quarter-turn mechanical lock. That actually works. And it's plenty bright enough.

All that said, I actually like taking a video light (i.e. a wide beam) on night dives. The D26 lights are both spot beams (around 8 - 10 degree beam angle for the hot spot). A video light will have a beam angle of 70 - 110 degrees and be even lighting (i.e. no bright spot in the middle, which messes with a camera, if you're trying to shoot video).

1000 lumens spread out over 100 degrees is not nearly as bright as 1000 lumens in an 8 degree spot. So, an inexpensive video light works well for me on night dives. I can light up a whole area, but not too brightly. I think it makes it easier to spot critters.

But, if you do decide to use a wide angle light on a night dive, make sure you still carry at least one backup light that is a spot beam. You need the spot beam for signaling - in the event signaling becomes a necessity.

I do night dives with 2 of the DGX 600 lights. Two power levels and a strobe function. Burn time on high is over an hour. I have one of the older rear button models that is years old and goes on every day dive, works perfectly.

View attachment 620221

That DGX light looks nearly identical to the Odepro WD42 just with a different push button switch:
fM1hGaKuOnIjWU52E3FKGkbr9j9Of9S6JTH0UL2CBLc0Q8dzpFZ5b6fBCLOi8XIjb10fvitPz5gKzqW31Ns_Trs3nXWBK9LQ.jpg

dx-802502_1.jpg

The DGX 600 twist seems identical to the Odpro WD41

dx-802501_8a.jpg

Zh8y7hbkemX-aeVfYuZEemn7V6K2y-npDdLH7p1XoPWIDuGKHeSka7v_rzL-zv9h4WzpqNOrMPbQiUL5kNA6Sbkj8tze0dEg.jpg

-Z

Not at all surprising, where do you think all the lights are made?

Go back and read post #6 in this discussion thread. It is the post I note where the torches are made.

Post #16 shows the similarity/identicality so that one can determine whether or not they want to pay a slightly higher price for the rebranded one. To be honest, the fact that one would be able to pick up the phone and speak to a DGX employee to negotiate a replacement if one is required is probably worth the slight premium.

-Z

Go back and read post #6 in this discussion thread. It is the post I note where the torches are made.

Post #16 shows the similarity/identicality so that one can determine whether or not they want to pay a slightly higher price for the rebranded one. To be honest, the fact that one would be able to pick up the phone and speak to a DGX employee to negotiate a replacement if one is required is probably worth the slight premium.

-Z

And DGX's Unlimited Return Policy. Buy the light from them. Use it for 5 years. If it breaks, you CAN return it for full credit of the purchase price.

I am not recommending that, mind you. If you get 5 years out of an inexpensive light, you should probably buy another one - not try to get another one for free. I'm just saying that buying from DGX is good for more than just being able to call them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom