Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't feel so sanguine as this. Had I known he was going out of business after claiming he was only moving, no way I would have bought my plate and wing from him.

I still dive my DSS plate 14 years running now and my two wings lasted until I sold them at very respectable used gear prices. Your investment is safe.

I don't feel so sanguine as this. Had I known he was going out of business after claiming he was only moving, no way I would have bought my plate and wing from him.
why not?

The plate will outlast you (although might need to eventually replace the webbing)
His 15yo wings are solid still. Eventually everything wears out, but nothing from DSS has never had a reputation for an earlier demise.

I still dive my DSS plate 14 years running now and my two wings lasted until I sold them at very respectable used gear prices. Your investment is safe.

Yep, 15+ on mine, everything, harness included still in excellent condition...his rigs were/are bulletproof.

I’ve had an assortment of DSS gear over the years......bulletproof and exceptionally well designed. Alas, I’ll be the Vintage guy diving on unheard of kit at the dive site.

I’ve had an assortment of DSS gear over the years......bulletproof and exceptionally well designed. Alas, I’ll be the Vintage guy diving on unheard of kit at the dive site.

And coincidentally, speaking of being a ‘vintage’ guy, if you need a new wing, the wings from “Vintage Double Hose” fit DSS plates last I knew. I might be in the market for a higher lift bag soon and will go with a VDH. VDH is on ScubaBoard, too, and seems to make good kit.

And coincidentally, speaking of being a ‘vintage’ guy, if you need a new wing, the wings from “Vintage Double Hose” fit DSS plates last I knew. I might be in the market for a higher lift bag soon and will go with a VDH. VDH is on ScubaBoard, too, and seems to make good kit.

I would think that any wing with long cam strap slots will fit/work with a DSS plate. That would include the VDH wing, Dive Rite, DGX, Oxycheq, HOG, Apeks, and others.

-Z

I would think that any wing with long cam strap slots will fit/work with a DSS plate. That would include the VDH wing, Dive Rite, DGX, Oxycheq, HOG, Apeks, and others.

-Z
It's a question of whether the cam band slots in the wing line up with the slots in the plate. I can verify they do for the VDH wing. Don't know about the others.

why not?

The plate will outlast you (although might need to eventually replace the webbing)
His 15yo wings are solid still. Eventually everything wears out, but nothing from DSS has never had a reputation for an earlier demise.

Because I expect more out a vendor than to take a powder after I make a purchase. DSS had promised quick wing repairs. This was a sellling point. Now I have been told that if my wing gets a hole in it, i might as well throw it out.

Tobin has gone from poor customer relations, to no customer relations.

My DSS wing finally fell apart in March, after about 10 years of solid service. I went online to order a new DSS wing and..... :(

I had to hold my nose and buy a Halcyon Eclipse.

Because I expect more out a vendor than to take a powder after I make a purchase. DSS had promised quick wing repairs. This was a sellling point. Now I have been told that if my wing gets a hole in it, i might as well throw it out.

Tobin has gone from poor customer relations, to no customer relations.
Being single ply his wings were never especially repairable. If you poke a hole in yours aquaseal works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom