Hose setup..need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers
Im planning to change from the generic scuba hose routing setup to having a 22" around neck for an octo and 40" under arm as a main.

I'm looking to get miflex hoses and wondering if i should get the normal MIFLEX hoses or the MIFLEX XT TECH hoses, what would be the pros and cons of each for the setup i am planning to utilize? i already have 2 cave adventurers 360 degree swivels to go on the end of both regulators.

-Dan

The Miflex XT Tech hoses look like they were developed to address 2 complaints by divers who prefer a long hose setup:
1. The long hose setup (5ft/7ft long hose) is routed across the chest and around the back of the neck and around to the mouth. The braided cover of Mi-flex hoses was often found to be uncomfortable due to the way it abraded on some folk neck or abraded on their exposure suit/neck seal.

2. The standard Mi-flex hose was positively buoyant and would have a tendency to float, halo-like, above or around the diver.

The XT Tech hoses have a smooth outer polyurethane layer to address the abrasion issue. It has kevlar reinforcement around the inner braid, and however done it is supposedly no longer positively buoyant.

You will find that some eschew Mi-flex hoses in favor of rubber hoses. There are strong opinions against them due to early issues with their high-pressure hoses, and the breakdown of the actual air-hose inside the braided outer hose, along with the two issues I noted above. The issues with the standard Mi-Flex hoses have been worked out some time ago and no longer seem to be an issue. The other two issues are addressed with the advent of the XT Tech hoses.

The common argument that is often given against mi-flex type hoses is that they have a limited life-span of roughly 5-years according to the manufacturer....the claim often made by folks who make this argument is that they have been using standard rubber hoses in excess of 5 years without issue. If one were to look at manufacturer and retailer recommendations for any scuba hose, the recommendation is to replace at around the 5-year mark....whether one does or not is a personal decision, but manufacturers apparently do not expect their hoses, regardless of material they are made from, should be replaced at a specific interval...for "safety".

If the hoses have features that you want/need for the type of diving you do, at the price you wish to pay, then all is good.

I personally have mi-flex hoses on my reg sets and have yet to have a problem with them. I like how the flexibility of the hose lends itself to tightly coil my hoses when stored for transport (I dive with a 7ft hose).

The 360 swivel for the octo on the short hose is superfluous, you can save money here if you have not purchased it yet.

-Z

you definitely don't need the swivel on the short hose, especially with a miflex, but it doesn't hurt.

On the long hose. The normal braided hoses suck. They pull your neck hair, chew up your neck seals, float, hold weird sets from storage, etc. The XT-Tech's fix most of the issues as stated above, but they're 2.5x the cost of a normal rubber hose and don't really do anything better than the plain ones so why bother?

1. I used to use one of these, under the arm and around the neck with a 130? degree
  2. fixed angle (no swivel) after I had a ball swivel fail.

3. Ultraflex Rubber Low & Bc Pressure Hose

14314-10058_th.jpg

Click for larger image
14314-10058_40_th.jpg
14314-10057_40_th.JPG

UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 60" Inches "Black"

• This is the most flexible hose you have ever seen / used! No more fighting with your stiffer rubber hoses with these ultraflex hoses!!
  • Get ready for the latest hose to hit the market! Our New Ultraflex hose acts like a braided hose but is made in a super soft rubber compound that allows you to tie this hose in a knot and still breath easy thru it!
  • Unique technology allows our hose to be tied in a knot or bent for tight fitting applications!
  • Great for divers that want an ultra flexible hose at a superior price! This hose reduced your overall weight from standard rubber hoses and works the same as a braided hose but does not have that abrasion of a braided hose
  • This hose is very durable and super flexible
  • Our Low Pressure hoses have a 3/8 fitting to fit your first stage and 9/16 fitting to connect your regulator!
  • Max working pressure 1250 psi
  • Bursting pressure 5000 psi meets SGS bursting tests
  • Color of hose is BLACK
  • NOTICE: Our Ultra-Flex hoses use a polyether-TPU and NOT the polyester-TPU inner liner that is causing internal issues with some hoses with reported failures!
Piranha's Price: $21.99​

1. I used to use one of these, under the arm and around the neck with a 130? degree
  2. fixed angle (no swivel) after I had a ball swivel fail.

3. Ultraflex Rubber Low & Bc Pressure Hose

UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 60" Inches "Black"

• This is the most flexible hose you have ever seen / used! No more fighting with your stiffer rubber hoses with these ultraflex hoses!!
  • Get ready for the latest hose to hit the market! Our New Ultraflex hose acts like a braided hose but is made in a super soft rubber compound that allows you to tie this hose in a knot and still breath easy thru it!
  • Unique technology allows our hose to be tied in a knot or bent for tight fitting applications!
  • Great for divers that want an ultra flexible hose at a superior price! This hose reduced your overall weight from standard rubber hoses and works the same as a braided hose but does not have that abrasion of a braided hose
  • This hose is very durable and super flexible
  • Our Low Pressure hoses have a 3/8 fitting to fit your first stage and 9/16 fitting to connect your regulator!
  • Max working pressure 1250 psi
  • Bursting pressure 5000 psi meets SGS bursting tests
  • Color of hose is BLACK
  • NOTICE: Our Ultra-Flex hoses use a polyether-TPU and NOT the polyester-TPU inner liner that is causing internal issues with some hoses with reported failures!
Piranha's Price: $21.99​

Can I just jump in here and say how awesome Randy and Piranha are? Truly a great company and Randy is a joy to deal with. Ok, carry on.

The Miflex XT Tech hoses look like they were developed to address 2 complaints by divers who prefer a long hose setup:
1. The long hose setup (5ft/7ft long hose is routed across the chest and around the back of the neck and around to the mouth. The braided cover of Mi-flex hoses was often found to be uncomfortable due to the way it abraded on some folk neck or abraded on their exposure suit/neck seal.

2. The standard Mi-flex hose was positively buoyant and would have a tendency to float, halo-like, above or around the diver.

The XT Tech hoses have a smooth outer polyurethane layer to address the abrasion issue. It has kevlar reinforcement around the inner braid, and however done it is supposedly no longer positively buoyant.

You will find the some eschew Mi-flex hoses in favor of rubber hoses. There are strong opinions against them due to early issues with their high-pressure hoses, and the breakdown of the actual air-hose inside the braided outer hose, along with the two issues I noted above. The issues with the standard Mi-Flex hoses have been worked out some time ago and no longer seem to be an issue. The other two issues are addressed with the advent of the XT Tech hoses.

The common argument that is often given against mi-flex type hoses is that they have a limited life-span of roughly 5-years according to the manufacturer....the claim often made by folks who make this argument is that they have been using standard rubber hoses in excess of 5 years without issue. If one were to look at manufacturer and retailer recommendations for any scuba hose, the recommendation is to replace at around the 5-year mark....whether one does or not is a personal decision, but manufacturers apparently do not expect their hoses, regardless of material they are made from, should be replaced at a specific interval...for "safety".

If the hoses have features that you want/need for the type of diving you do, at the price you wish to pay, then all is good.

I personally have mi-flex hoses on my reg sets and have yet to have a problem with them. I like how the flexibility of the hose lends itself to tightly coil my hoses when stored for transport (I dive with a 7ft hose).

The 360 swivel for the octo on the short hose is superfluous, you can save money here if you have not purchased it yet.

-Z
Hello. Very well written.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Has anyone used a shorty type hose to attach your transmitter the the 1st stage? I was thinking an HP Miflex in like 4-6" and maybe even with a 90 degree elbow might work well to provide a transmitter with a lot of stress relief and keep it from sticking straight out to the side. I just got a computer with a transmitter and have no idea if this is a common thing or not but seems like it would be worth looking at.

I have a combined BC inflator/alternate regulator setup. I believe this is a higher air flow hose than a regular BC inflator hose. Anyone know if there's a Miflex style equivalent? I assume it would be like a regulator hose with a disconnect fitting?

Has anyone used a shorty type hose to attach your transmitter the the 1st stage? I was thinking an HP Miflex in like 4-6" and maybe even with a 90 degree elbow might work well to provide a transmitter with a lot of stress relief and keep it from sticking straight out to the side. I just got a computer with a transmitter and have no idea if this is a common thing or not but seems like it would be worth looking at.

I’ve used a 6” hose. Works fine. No need for the 90 degree elbow. What I did since I use a long hose even single tank is to use a stainless steel braided hose. I then used a bit of bungee cord to tie the transmitter hose to the long hose. Saw someone else local do that. Keeps everything tidy.

Back
Top Bottom