Backup light and recreational primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really depends on what your requirements are for a tech backup light are. Do you need a backup light that runs of alkaline batteries or are rechargeable batteries ok? (rechargeable seem to be much more common now a days and less expensive). I have a couple of the DGX600s, one push button and one twist. They use 18650 batteries but I have done burn tests on them using 2xCR123A. With the 18650s they last about an hour (little over) and with the CR123As they burn 2:45 hours, allthough with slightly less light output. I prefer the button DGX600 with a soft goodman handle for rec diving, I find the 600 lumens output and 1 hour battery life to be more than sufficient and the size (and price) are very good. That said there are agencies that won't let you use either a push button or a rechargeable battery in a tech backup light.

I carry two OrcaTorch D520s, one clipped (inboard) on each shoulder strap and kept under control with snoopy loops. They’re bright, high quality and have great burn times to get you around on rec dives or get you out of trouble in OW tech dives but I bought them mainly because they were readily available, they stow very nicely and the price was great.

Since you have a BX2, if you find yourself happy with it I’d just get another. They’ll also fit nicely on your shoulder straps so you’re always prepared. Backup lights in pockets? I would encourage you to move them to a more readily deployable location. Being able to quickly deploy a light is critical for a wide variety of reasons.

I have the CX1 on a hand strap for night, deep and sport-level wreck duty. It’s been a valuable companion and like @Manatee Diver said, its performance belies its size. Unfortunately the tail cap switch has been problematic for me. I’m very pleased that Dive Rite is sending me a replacement tail cap and hope to get many more years of use from it until I get off my duff and spring for a canister light.

When I spring for the can light, it’ll be because I’m starting overheard training. When that time comes, the OrcaTorch D520s will also get replaced for something with more lumens and longer run time (DGX800? LM 3W? ) but the replacements will fit in the same spot (shoulder straps).

when using the backup lights for primary, and frankly even for cave diving, I recommend having one of these
There's two sizes and I can never remember which one fits which, but @stuartv may remember or if you call cave adventurers they will certainly know. I leave this in my thigh pocket when diving doubles, but it is considered mandatory for me when I'm using any hand held lights.
Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Raider Light Sock (Raider I & II) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I believe the Raider I is bigger. It just barely fits on my Xtar D26 lights. I.e. it's pretty much the perfect size for those. And it is also a good fit for the DGX 600, which is a bit skinnier.

I think the Raider III light sock is skinnier. I don't remember what the spec for intended light body thickness range is for either one. Like @tbone1004 said, you can call CA and they can tell you.

I guess a rule of thumb would be the Raider I is for lights that use an 18650 or 26650 battery. I GUESS the Raider III is probably for a light using an AAA battery(?).

I believe the Raider I is bigger. It just barely fits on my Xtar D26 lights. I.e. it's pretty much the perfect size for those. And it is also a good fit for the DGX 600, which is a bit skinnier.

I think the Raider III light sock is skinnier. I don't remember what the spec for intended light body thickness range is for either one. Like @tbone1004 said, you can call CA and they can tell you.

I guess a rule of thumb would be the Raider I is for lights that use an 18650 or 26650 battery. I GUESS the Raider III is probably for a light using an AAA battery(?).

that was my thinking. The Raider III is what I use on the single 18650 lights that I have. Orcatorch D530, Cave Adventurers backup lights, etc.

Orcatorch released 21700 battery lamp. After learning about 21700 battery size, seems to be way to go on future. It was made to replace 18650.

Orcatorch released 21700 battery lamp. After learning about 21700 battery size, seems to be way to go on future. It was made to replace 18650.

18650 can pack about 3300mAh. The best I've got, anyway. It does seem like I read that they have them up to maybe 5000mAh now. What do 21700 cells hold? Or maybe it's the 21700 I'm thinking of that can be as much as 5000?

I tried the bx2 tonight on a night dive. For its size its a decent light even in murky New England waters. Of course it doesn't compete with the 32 watt canister light but that comparing apples to watermelons.

I have a pair of big blue cf1200p lights i use as backup or primary when i dont need a light. They are adjustable beam type so you can still get the penetration of my primary when you need just in a smaller area.

My CX1 tailcap arrived last night.

Definitely back in a happy place and will give it a whirl on this weekend’s clown gas and scooters shindig.

Thanks, DiveRite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom