Maldives in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k_hanna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dive buddies,

I am planning land based diving in December and getting confused about which area i should target - the north or the south?

From the majority of research it appears the south ari atolls are a better bet in december but wanted to double check with you... some questions:

1) Is the north or the south better in December?
2) any recommenaditons for hotel resorts with a good house reef and access to dives sites less than 40 mins away?

Would love to enjoy beautiful coral gardens, mantas , nice drop offs with large schools of fish... not asking for much :)

Cheers,
Kimberley

With the experience you have, I would advise to prefer the atolls of Maalhosmadulu, Faadhippolhu, Malé, Ari or Felidhoo. (center)

You may also go north to Haa Alifu, Haa Dhaalu, Shaviyani, Noonu or Raa. These destinations are less visited, better if you seek a real feeling of calm, authenticity and escape.

Have you ever dived on channel dives? I ask because I just returned from my first trip to the Maldives. We did the Northern trip on a liveaboard. I had never dove a channel and thats what I was told most of the southern islands are. So whats a channel dive? Well whats a channel dive like? Well take a hook, tie a 4ft rope to your BDC, and when you want to stop while drift diving? Hook it into a rock and let the currant flow past you like sticking your head out the side window of a car at 60 mph!! Do not let me scare you the Maldives was GREAT! Please reach out if you have any question about Covid and how the Maldives are handling it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom