Torque wrench for regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hawe two of them, the small one is 2-30 Nm, the large one is 1o-210 Nm.
I mostly use them working on the engines of my motorbikes.
On regulators I just use the small one for the retainer of the swivel turret of my SP MK5 - MK10.
For all other parts I do not find that using a torque wrench is "mission critical". It can be useful the first times you are doing the service. After a while your hand already knows how much force to apply...

While a number of inexpensive torque wrenches are available, just make sure that you're not suffering, in terms of accuracy.

I have a couple of recently recalibrated Hazet wrenches, on the pricier side; and we tested them against a couple of lesser shop torque wrenches. The inexpensive wrenches, varied from 8-12% -- out of the box -- off of their supposed, rated settings . . .

While a number of inexpensive torque wrenches are available, just make sure that you're not suffering, in terms of accuracy.

I have a couple of recently recalibrated Hazet wrenches, on the pricey side; and we tested them against a couple of lesser shop torque wrenches. The inexpensive wrenches, ranged from 8-12% off of their supposed settings . . .

All torque wrenches, no matter how much they cost or their purported quality, need to be tested for calibration on a periodic basis...it is the nature of the tool.

How far out were the Hazet wrenches that were recalibrated?

The general standard for torque wrenches is +/- 4% at mid-range for most industries where high precision is not required.

I have a set of inexpensive click type torque wrenches that I purchased about 8 years ago that I test for calibration at least once a year. All of them have tested within limits and I have not had a need to adjust any of them.

For those looking to purchase a torque wrench for occasional use, there is no need to spend a lot of money, but regardless if you invest pennies or a fortune it is critical that you check that whatever you buy is calibrated before using it, and periodically check and adjust as necessary. Plenty of tutorials on line that show how this is done.

-Z

All torque wrenches, no matter how much they cost or their purported quality, need to be tested for calibration on a periodic basis...it is the nature of the tool.

How far out were the Hazet wrenches that were recalibrated?

-Z

I am well aware of the need for periodic re-calibration; it was mentioned in my previous post.

One of the Hazet wrenches -- the 4.0 - 40 nm -- was still within factory specs, upon testing, after about five years of constant use -- though with very careful storage (without any tension ever left upon the spring); and the older one -- the 15 - 35 nm -- was about 5% off, after a similar period, since its previous calibration . . .

Where do people go to get their torque wrenches calibrated?
All you need is some weights and a ruler.

Back in my submarine fixing days we had to torque things with a certified torque wrench, certified writhing 30 days, it usually took 20 days to get the wrench back from certification by the calibration shop, the Navy can be pretty fussy about such things.

Back in my submarine fixing days we had to torque things with a certified torque wrench, certified writhing 30 days, it usually took 20 days to get the wrench back from certification by the calibration shop, the Navy can be pretty fussy about such things.

On the last ship I was stationed on (a FFG), I recall the towed array had a periodic maintenance requirement that included using a driver that had a specific single torque value (non-adjustable). Apparently it needed to be re-calibrated or replaced every year.

-Z

I mostly use them working on the engines of my motorbikes.

Motorcars for me Angelo!

After a while your hand already knows how much force to apply...

On top of the ratchet.................Used mostly..........

Half way along the handle.........Used a bit..........

End of handle...............................Undoing, and din and yoke nuts..........

More undoing

full.jpg

You see size does matter and where it is held

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom