Attention MK-15 aficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,
Is this black rubber piece, which wraps around the join, the spec boot been talking about on this thread? I don't see any function of it beside the look. Does anyone know if I am ok without it?

The pic below is what I downloaded on the internet. Hope the owner doesn't mind.

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately (or in your case fortunately) that is just a "trim" boot. It serves no purpose other than dress or perhaps affords a minor amount of protection against abrasions. The SPEC boot found on some SP models actually holds grease in the ambient chamber keeping water, sand, and silt out. A SPEC boot, being flexible, transmits ambient pressure to the grease which in turn transmits to the piston.

Bottom line: If it's missing, it's of little consequence to the performance or integrity.

Thanks Couv,
So basically, it's not a must in my MK15.
I wonder if it should have one on my MK10? pic below. I got the MK10 without any boot so never know if it should have one.

img_1804-jpg.540988.jpg

Hi rsingler,
So I should seal up the ambient holes (those ports #2)? I can put a wide rubber band there... but I thought ambient ports suppose to be opened for water to come in?
Thanks.

So I should seal up the ambient holes (those ports #2)?
No. Sealing the holes will remove the ability of the reg to sense ambient pressure, and pressure to your second stage will fall as you descend, making breathing harder. That is dangerous.

See @couv's comment in post #93 above.

The "sealing" we are enthusiastic about is a recreation of the old SPEC boot long since discontinued by Scubapro. You can read about it here:
SPEC Boots for MK10 and MK15 primary regs

Ugh, picked up an addiction. New MK10/BA

DIY SPEC Boot

Thanks rsingler,
Looking at the DIY specboots, in pics below, looks like they cover the ports completely. Unless, they are not completely tight/seal? Hope you don't mind explaining the different between them and a simple rubber band to cover the ports?
Thanks.

Thanks rsingler,
Looking at the DIY specboots, in pics below, looks like they cover the ports completely. Unless, they are not completely tight/seal? Hope you don't mind explaining the different between them and a simple rubber band to cover the ports?
Thanks.
If you'll start at this post in the DIY SPEC Boot thread, I think it will answer your question.

Basically the boot acts as an intermediate chamber to allow Christolube to move back and forth with each breath, instead of sea water. The boot compresses with depth, adding pressure via the Christolube to the piston head, just as ambient sea water would.

can't understand every detail but let see if the get the idea. So, manufacture came out with those ports opened to allow water to come into the ambient chamber to measure the pressure. The spec boot (the rubber cover piece) is only for look. DIY spec boot is to cover those ports not allowing salt water come in to the ambient chamber while still able to measure the pressure. Silicon is able to move in and out of the ports. Did I get it right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom