Norte vs tropical storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okcdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im heading.to coz in the morning. We had a small norte come thru oklahoma today and a bigger one coming monday. Last week i looked at the windguru and it said north winds all week. Now it says tues and wed look good. Im going for more fishing than diving so watching winds close. So what happens when a norte hits a trop storm?

So what happens when a norte hits a trop storm?
We take bets.

Invest 95L has a high likelihood of developing altho not really a threat to the island at this time: Invest 95L now at 70 percent chance of development | 12newsnow.com

That wave could be what's causing Guru to expect strong southerly winds Tuesday...
upload_2020-10-24_2-39-41.png

For a south wind it doesn't look that bad and it appears to be passing by pretty quick. Got some rain last night and there is currently a light west wind. Just walked down to the marina and a little swell and pretty calm seas. I suspect that in an hour when I am underwater it really won't be a factor.

It's weird when there are potentials for both at the same time.

The record year for the number of named storms was 2005, when there were 31. This year we are already at 30, a full month earlier than when it got to that point (Epsilon) in 2005.

The last named storm of the 2005 hurricane season was Zeta, which was designated as such on December 30. I wonder; if it were named just two days later, on January 1, 2006, would it have been Zeta or would it have been named Alberta - the first reserved TS name for 2006? Would it have been the latest tropical storm ever named or the earliest?

I doubt that anyone wore shorts to the airport in OKC today. Brr! That front hit you harder than it did the Texas Panhandle. We get one last decent outdoors day today, but Tuesday looks depressing. I'm happy for you in Cozumel for a nice looking week.

I doubt that anyone wore shorts to the airport in OKC today. Brr! That front hit you harder than it did the Texas Panhandle. We get one last decent outdoors day today, but Tuesday looks depressing. I'm happy for you in Cozumel for a nice looking week.
It blew through here yesterday and it looks like it will reach Cozumel tomorrow, with NNW winds @12-18 kts tomorrow evening. Source: windguru

Surf's up on the east side on Tuesday. Cowabunga!

That's wild how the two are coming together. This is going to be interesting.....

Screenshot_20201024-194725.png

Oh ok, TD-28, soon to be TS Zeta has organized, and the island is not out of trouble yet as it seems to be in the Zone-Of-Hate. At least it's not expected to make hurricane status until after it passes, and it may well miss the island. Cancun is more likely to be affected.

upload_2020-10-24_19-7-4.png

Oh ok, TD-28, soon to be TS Zeta has organized, and the island is not out of trouble yet as it seems to be in the Zone-Of-Hate. At least it's not expected to make hurricane status until after it passes, and it may well miss the island. Cancun is more likely to be affected.

View attachment 620046
And yet another projected hit or near hit on the Louisiana coast. This would be the seventh, I believe. I don't remember another year that even came close to that number.

My people are in Louisiana.

And yet another projected hit or near hit on the Louisiana coast. This would be the seventh, I believe. I don't remember another year that even came close to that number.
As you mentioned earlier...
The record year for the number of named storms was 2005, when there were 31. This year we are already at 30, a full month earlier than when it got to that point (Epsilon) in 2005.

It blew through here yesterday and it looks like it will reach Cozumel tomorrow, with NNW winds @12-18 kts tomorrow evening. Source: windguru
Funny, it was nice in the Panhandle today, high 70°, brisk winds but out of the south mostly. I guess that front got some opposition here, but the temps are going to fall tomorrow, then crash. Longjohns all week...!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom