Woman rescued after 12 days in Zion NP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just heard that she fasted for two days prior and planned to fast on the two day outing. Perhaps that could affect her memory, but no one has explained where she got water if she could not walk two steps. And they may not.

She was found covered in bruises. Hypothetical...If she tripped, fell down a slope, and whacked her head into a tree (as stated), it’s possible that she sustained an impact injury to her head (concussion), but did not have a nasty or even visible head wound.

Not saying that’s what happened, but that absence of a head wound that appears serious enough to warrant a helicopter flight or ambulance ride proves nothing.

A head wound...as she stated and as supported (my two cents) by her being all banged up...would explain her memory issues.

Why does anyone care? She committed no crimes, it is none of our business.

Care for your fellow human being?

Yes, she doesn’t owe anyone an explanation. As you are (I’m assuming) angling at, I don’t typically feel the need to jump to negative assumptions about someone in this kind of situations. That doesn’t change the fact that it is a human interest piece and will get all kinds of attention.

Well there have been several news stories on this so I guess someone cares. I commented on it because it seemed like a made up story to me. I would like to think eveyone is honest and assume they are until something really stands out. He daughter set up a Go Fund me page and they raised over 12K which they reportingly will now use for rehab sice it was not used in the SAR. Several people were involved in the search. It could be a crime.

Did it rain at all while she was missing?

Did it rain at all while she was missing?

Hasn't rained in southern Utah in months.

Also, the Virgin River in the park has had a Cyanobacteria bloom with anatoxin-A which killed a dog that drank from the river this summer. Warnings have been up to avoid the water in the river and feeder streams.

I commented on it because it seemed like a made up story to me.
The only part that I don't buy is that no one can last more than three days without water. My guess is that she found a dripping spring or a similar source. I remember a whole wall of those on one of the easy trails I took there a couple of years ago. Journalism has changed so much since the Who, What, Where, Why, and How days.

He daughter set up a Go Fund me page and they raised over 12K which they reportingly will now use for rehab sice it was not used in the SAR.
I remember when a Scubaboard member was severely burned in an oxygen tank explosion, someone set one up and it raised thousands, but when he recovered he made sure all donations were returned properly. He's doing well today as I follow him on FB.

I just returned from an old man's camping trip to Guadalupe Mountains NP. With the changing colors in McKittrick Canyon and the end of a six-month closure of much of the park, the place was swarming with hordes of campers, hikers, explorers, etc. I did good to finish some of the easiest trails. I wonder how much money could be saved if all of those hikers scrambling to the top of Guadalupe peak (many leave in the dark to watch the sunrise there) carried PLBs but few have to be found and rescued.

I guess the water source will come out in the coming book.

Back
Top Bottom