Storm destroys Lion's Head lighthouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our group used this light as a reference point while searching for the wrecks in that area. I'm sad to see it destroyed.

Owen Sound, ON – The landmark lighthouse at Lion’s Head, Ont., was destroyed over the weekend during a storm that also caused hydro outages, downed trees and poor driving conditions in Grey-Bruce and prompted some municipalities to declare significant weather events.

Benjamin Madill said he stopped by the Lion’s Head harbor Sunday around 7:15 a.m. and was “blown away” to discover the lighthouse had been knocked down and ruined by the storm. “The sun was coming up when I drove in like I normally do and I always see the lighthouse there and I’m thinking to myself, something’s missing here. And then I drove up and realized it’s gone. It’s completely gone,” he said in an interview.

Madill lives in Oliphant, but was doing his rounds early Sunday as part of his work for a water treatment agency. His grandparents had a cottage at Lion’s Head, so he’s familiar with the lighthouse. His Facebook post, which included photographs of the destroyed lighthouse, was widely shared.

“You can see the bolts on the concrete slab where the lighthouse was bolted to and then it’s just in pieces floating in the water and on the dock,” he said.

The lighthouse, which is owned by Northern Bruce Peninsula, had been damaged by a pair of storms in October. The municipality had planned to close it in and secure the structure for winter and fix it up in the spring.

The lighthouse was built by high school students in 1983, based on the blueprints of the original 1903 structure. The federal government has maintained the navigation light in the lighthouse.

Pictures of the damage

Owen Sound Times

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom