Dive Travel Poll

When will you start traveling to go diving?

• Within the next six months.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • 6 months - 1 year

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Beyond 1 year

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong assumption.
Spanish flu wasn't originated from Spain, hence why not call COVID19 the Hongkong or the American flu then it would be as appropriate if you compare to the so called "Spanish Flu"...
https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu
Does it matter?
They are still known as HK and Spanish flu!

I have yet to meet anyone in HK objecting the name! Only those having a massive chip on their shoulders will!!!!

In the past, many diseases have been named after geographical locations, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and Zika virus, but in 2015, the World Health Organization introduced recommendations to avoid this practice, in order to reduce stigma. In accordance with this policy, the WHO recommended the official name "COVID-19" in February 2020.[1]
List of incidents of xenophobia and racism related to the COVID-19 pandemic - Wikipedia
WHO set NO standard for me!!!

It'll all come down to regional politics, not a percieved sense of safety. Other countries that have been worst hit and have higher infection rates are open for international travel
Dan has mentioned Mexico so what are the otherS?
Still waiting for your own answer!

Does it matter?
It does.
It proves your point on "origination" is moot for the less, knowing the Spanish flu wasn't named accordingly.
More importantly it shows that diseases often get undeserved names by people who like to reject things on others (hence my point : why not giving it so the "Bolivian flu" or any other country if it were similar to the Spanish flu naming logics? I guess Azeri people call it the "Armenian flu" etc etc) .

Does it matter?

I have yet to meet anyone in HK objecting the name! Only those having a massive chip on their shoulders will!!!!
Just a question. What do you want to express with the exclamation marks?

Well, we're not really going for "good writing" here, though it helps.:)

Because on the internet and this thread is a good example of such, we're having an ongoing conversation, almost as if in real time. Unfortunately, it's a flat medium which is why emoticons came into play.

As the article stresses, the exclamation point is overused, to me, it's no longer the "shriek" that it once was, ergo !!!, is the new shriek, a la orange is the new black.:giggle:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom