Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a possible plateau for me that's not that far away, if I decide against ever going the tech route and also decide never to learn anything about photography. But even in that case, I think I've got room to grow my skills and explore new environments for at least a couple more years. I think it's more likely, though, that I'm not yet one tenth of the diver I will someday become.

Yeah, it was when I was informed that I had survivor bias.

Now diving just doesn’t seem interesting anymore.
Hello. I read through some of that.:)
I'm sure you have many adventures ahead. A week ago, I became strongly interested in "Cave diving."
I can't go back, and change the O.P. but, evidently my "Plateau." is no longer valid.:rofl3:
Cheers.

I hope that I never do. It's unlikely that I'll change the diving that I prefer now, but I hope to do it better everyday!. My greater fear now is that due to world circumstances, I'll not be able to go do that improving.

There is one more course I want to do and that is the Solo Certificate. Not that I plan on solo diving it's just that I am often at the back of dive groups taking video or photos and I often find if I am not diving with my friends who will stay with me that sometimes your so called dive buddy from the vacation group swims off into to distance not waiting for you. Better to pair up with another person with a camera really.

Watch this video.... my "dive buddy" was actually behind me and I started taking this video of an Octopus. He didnt see the Octopus and thought I was filming the "rocks" again. So he drifts off as the guide is in front of us and you can see him give an OK sign.
Later on when others saw my video later in the afternoon this diver who left me is Oh wow so nice when did you take that. I am like well you drifted past me and didn't stick with your dive buddy lol. He looked rather ashamed of himself as he is not some novice diver. Watch to the end, this octopus got bitten twice by a nasty fish and really put on a colour changing show.

There is one more course I want to do and that is the Solo Certificate. Not that I plan on solo diving it's just that I am often at the back of dive groups taking video or photos and I often find if I am not diving with my friends who will stay with me that sometimes your so called dive buddy from the vacation group swims off into to distance not waiting for you. Better to pair up with another person with a camera really.

Watch this video.... my "dive buddy" was actually behind me and I started taking this video of an Octopus. He didnt see the Octopus and thought I was filming the "rocks" again. So he drifts off as the guide is in front of us and you can see him give an OK sign.
Later on when others saw my video later in the afternoon this diver who left me is Oh wow so nice when did you take that. I am like well you drifted past me and didn't stick with your dive buddy lol. He looked rather ashamed of himself as he is not some novice diver. Watch to the end, this octopus got bitten twice by a nasty fish and really put on a colour changing show.

Wow, great stuff and certainly not shy of you!

A good instructor freind of mine here recently got his solo cert. (well, Self Reliant) while in the tropics and finished off the number of solo dives he needed here in order to be qualified to teach it. I may take the course from him at some point. No real need to with almost all my solo dives being to 30' or so, but it may be a nice cert. to have just in case. I would like to know any important ins & outs you should know if by yourself at 100' and a CESA may not be doable for me from there.
The S.R. course has never been offered before here.

I certified in 1992 through Sports Chalet. I remember over a few years my excitement at diving changed to...well, boredom. I was diving just as I was taught--jump in, swim around, come up with 500 psi. My instructors knew little more than I did. Because I had nothing to work on, it became repetitive. This was before, obviously the internet, ScubaBoard, or that thing called technical diving.

I think the scope of diving now has both widened and deepened over those days-- or maybe it did for me. There are now better ways to dive, should one wish to do so. There are also higher levels to aspire to (should time and family obligations ever permit.)

Before, I would think nothing of kneeling in the sand--hell, we all did! Now, I try not to just slop through the water. I am very concerned about buoyancy, trim, and HOW diving should be done. I'm always working on my frog kick. That alone should keep me "un-plateaued" for a long while.

I certified in 1992 through Sports Chalet. I remember over a few years my excitement at diving changed to...well, boredom. I was diving just as I was taught--jump in, swim around, come up with 500 psi. My instructors knew little more than I did. Because I had nothing to work on, it became repetitive. This was before, obviously the internet, ScubaBoard, or that thing called technical diving.

I think the scope of diving now has both widened and deepened over those days-- or maybe it did for me. There are now better ways to dive, should one wish to do so. There are also higher levels to aspire to (should time and family obligations ever permit.)

Before, I would think nothing of kneeling in the sand--hell, we all did! Now, I try not to just slop through the water. I am very concerned about buoyancy, trim, and HOW diving should be done. I'm always working on my frog kick. That alone should keep me "un-plateaued" for a long while.
Not at all being critical, just curious--why did you all kneel in the sand? A particular reason--just to rest? I was taught skills kneeling, as did a huge % of divers, but I can't think of a time I purposely knelt on the bottom. I suppose there may have been a couple or a few times for some reasons I can't recall.

Having an interest in marine life will add to that. There were several divers on Scubaboard a few years ago who took GUE Fundamentals together. For a year or two they posted reports and videos of their dives. The only things they talked about were their trim and frog kicks. Once they had "perfected" diving" they soon dropped out and found other interests. There was nothing to keep them interested in diving other than showing each other what perfect divers they were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom