Torches , cheap , expensive and the ugly .. ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys ..

Starting out , pretty new to diving, am looking for a reasonable touch

We intend to be diving in different visibilities, and will be doing a fair bit of underwater boat maintenance , need to be able to photo and video hulls , so i am looking for a torch/light which is going to last and be pretty universal , something that we can use for other dives too

I have seen cheap eBay specials which ...look like they won't last very long at all , have seen some very expensive canister lights which is a bit more than id like to spend ...

I have seen some by orcatorch which look good and at reasonable prices tho still on the expensive side ...

The canister light would look good with my back plate and wing tho ...

thoughts please ..
There's nothing wrong with your current touch judging by your profile pic! :wink:.

Might be worth popping into your local dive centre to try a few out. I've often found torches quite subjective based on your requirements. Some high powered handhelds can be pretty heavy and unwieldy, whilst a cannister light may be a bit excessive for your present needs. You can always start handheld and delegate that to backup if you do go cann light in the future.

yeah can still get stuff from the rest of europe , I bought loads ... lol..

cant get some that were mentioned in the uk , but I think im liking the look of the orcatorch , I have seen a few , they do an entry level canister light which looks good , my daughter thinks the D550 would be a good choice ?

Any of you guys use a canister light , does the cable get in the way , is it one more thing to worry about , or is it not to big a problem ..

As for the photos and video , it dont need to be of super duper professional quality , its really just for surveying hulls , props , keels ...

Cheers guys . .

The D 550 is one of the lights we also sell. It is not the best for video - too focused - a great light for use in the day and looking into holes and will even work great for a night diving light.

https://www.makospearguns.com/1000-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/m1000dl.htm

I have an Orcatorch D550+ that has been a fine light for a couple of years now. Shortly after, I got an Archon DH26 can light which has also been fine (for open water diving).

I would second the opinion of considering the cheap backup lights disposable. In my experience, they normally suffer from wires being too small and bad solder joints.

In local lakes with low vis, I have gotten fair results with lights and camera mounted to a helmet. By no means professional quality, but may work for your application.

DW

yeah can still get stuff from the rest of europe , I bought loads ... lol..

cant get some that were mentioned in the uk , but I think im liking the look of the orcatorch , I have seen a few , they do an entry level canister light which looks good , my daughter thinks the D550 would be a good choice ?

Any of you guys use a canister light , does the cable get in the way , is it one more thing to worry about , or is it not to big a problem ..

As for the photos and video , it dont need to be of super duper professional quality , its really just for surveying hulls , props , keels ...

Cheers guys . .
Personally i like having the cable. At least you won't drop your light into oblivion by accident :D
If you're clipping things a lot it sometimes can be caught in between things but it's easy enough to manage with.

Cable management on a canister light isn't a problem. You wrap the cable around your arm, and the Goodman handle (whether it's soft or hard, it doesn't matter) will attach the light head to your hand, meaning the cable stays in place.

For example, when I dive my backmount doubles rig, I have my canister mounted vertically on my right hip, between the right D-ring and the wing. The cable rises on the outside of my arm, wraps inward over my forearm, and emerges from underneath on the outside edge of my wrist.

The only real problem is managing the light head when you're not in the water. You'll need to attach a boltsnap and clip it off to something, otherwise you'll end up with the light head dangling and/or dragging on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom