Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. As soon as we get consume soup conditions we will have to hit Monastery again.

That is what I was told decades ago but not by marine biologists. Maybe @drbill can tell us.

Look like Dendronotus iris eggs to me, laid so the kiddies have munchies when they hatch.

Aplysia eggs (at least for Aplysia californica and A. vaccaria) look like this:

Aplysia eggs 2017-04-16-cs.jpg

Two dives, yesterday morning, in Carmel and Monterey.

Visibility was a bit better than last week; and North Monastery Beach had about 5 meters of visibility and little swell, out near the splash rock. There were anchovies in abundance below 20 meters.

San Carlos Beach had about 3-4 meters of visibility; still quite green on the Monterey side, with water a bit too warm for clarity . . .

Two dives at Breakwater today. First dive was awesome 25ft +/- vis. Second dive swell was starting to come in and vis dropped to 10-15ft. I think this was the last warm calm day for awhile. A big swell is coming in.

Eleven to thirteen foot swell, by Saturday, according to one report.

Surf was already up in Santa Cruz . . .

Yep. When surfers are happy divers are pissed. When divers are happy, surfers are pissed. I'm glad I got in today. BB I hope you don't have to dive for the next few days. If you do, I'd ask for overtime.

FRI NIGHT S winds around 5 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. NW swell 9 to 11 ft at 14 seconds and S around 2 ft at 16 seconds. A chance of showers.

SAT N winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft. NW swell 12 to 14 ft at 14 seconds and S around 2 ft at 15 seconds. A chance of showers.

SAT NIGHT NW winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Wind waves 4 to 5 ft. NW swell 9 to 11 ft at 13 seconds and S around 2 ft at 15 seconds. A chance of showers.

Not much in terms of wave activity; but you'll certainly be aware of that NW swell . . .

Carmel was not celebrating any Chamber of Commerce Day.

North Monastery, this morning, with a reckless friend, from overseas; had a serious swell; had less than two meters of visibility at about 30 meters, out beyond the splash rock; lots of surge. even at depth -- and it was most definitely "Mister Toad's Wild Ride," on the way, back to shore.

We saw, briefly, what we hoped, was a mola; and later, had to disassemble both of our second stages, due to a gross "over-abundance" of Carmel gravel -- not really sand, from any real world.

Not really recommended; still have lots in my hair; but was still fun . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom