My Octopus Teacher on Netflix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno why but after seeing it, I keep thinking of that weird Margaret Howe person...

We started My Octopus Teacher last night, but did not finish it. As @Fibonacci stated earlier, the photography is truly stunning. Unfortunately I found the self indulgent narcissistic narrative by Foster to be pretentious, self serving and insufferable. Fifteen minutes in I’m thinking please shut the hell up. Choosing to not intervene in the shark attack because he didn’t feel comfortable interfering with nature was the height of hypocrisy. He had been stalking and handling this animal like a dishrag for weeks. The perceived mutual bonding was specious too. I positioned my hand in the frame for perspective while capturing video of an octopus one evening and it reached out and grabbed my index finger. Did the little octo and I become instant soulmates? No, but I was summarily admonished on ScubaBaord! I realize my criticism of the film is harsh, but it is directed at Craig Foster. If the documentary had simply focused on octopus behavior it would have been fantastic.

I think you missed the whole point.

I didn’t see the big deal on his interactions with the octopus. It’s one thing to harass and another to interact with something that wants to do the same with you.

My first thought was of introspection and taking stock of one's life. My second thought after watching him handle and impose himself on the marine life was "please, leave the livestock alone. " (Sorry, shamelessly adapted from another movie :popcorn::oops: :))

Loved, loved, loved this movie. The interaction/relationship of the octopus with Craig Foster is incredibly stimulating. I now want to have an extended hangout around the next octopus I see. I’ll sure look for a small hole in nearby shells for sure, which will have new meaning! Great movie and would recommend it for sure!!

If the documentary had simply focused on octopus behavior it would have been fantastic.

And because it didn't, it was just a horrible documentary. I didn't even finish watching it. Had to turn it off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom