NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We protect our data centres at all cost, why can’t we also have automatic fire suppression systems on charter boats mandated. Gosh we even have them in underground parking lots.
What type of fire suppression system would you recommend?
You need to be careful not to create an irrespirable atmosphere with it or flood the boat with an electricity conducting fluid.

In a marine environment it would work in a engine compartment.
I wouldn’t want to be in a room when FM200 is discharged.

I was working today, so missed the live stream. KEYT is a news station local to Santa Barbara, and they posted recordings to YouTube today, in two parts.

The first part is about 2 hours, 4 minutes, and is available here:
The second part is about 1 hour, 35 minutes, and is available here:
I haven't yet gone through these, will try to give them the attention they deserve throughout the week. Until that time, I don't have much to add to the thread, just wanted to post the links here.

I'll definitely need to come back and check these out. I was working all day too and couldn't watch the hearing.

I don't doubt that the owner was ultimately responsible because he did not require the watch at all, let alone require evidence of it. On the other hand, I am sure he did not order the captain NOT to have a watch. The captain knew the rules, and the captain knew the importance of the watch. Even if the owner was lax in not demanding it, the captain could have and should have insisted on the watch.
The implication I got from the docket is that nobody on any of the truth boats could remember there ever being a night watch per the regs. The NTSB seemed suspicious that that this was a much bigger issue than those 3 boats given how Truth was considered to run a very safe op.

How about this.
Marine ECS™ Clean Agent Fire Suppression Systems are the preferred fire suppression solution for facilities that cannot afford the downtime associated with a fire or typical water-based fire suppression systems. Clean Agent systems extinguish a fire quickly by breaking down the molecular structure of the fire. The suppression agents do not harm the equipment or personnel in the protected room or cause a mess to clean up afterwards. ECS™ Clean Agents offer rapid fire extinguishment, suppressing fires within seconds of the agent being discharged into the protected area. The agents are ventilated out of the space and do not leave behind a residue to be cleaned up, allowing your facility to get back to work immediately.
Clean agent systems are VERY expensive. We use them in critical IT spaces, and one of the things is the room has to be sealed. So no open doors to the outside, you need gaskets and methodical sealing of every crack and automatic shutoff of the HVAC.

CO2 is much less expensive, but it is very dangerous in normally occupied areas. The release is very cold and fills the entire space with opaque mist as the water condenses into fog, and you take one breath you’ll drop.

In a marine environment it would work in a engine compartment.
I wouldn’t want to be in a room when FM200 is discharged.
FM200 is not toxic. You don’t want to get on the treadmill and run 5 miles in It, but you can safely breath it to leave. CO2 not at all.

We protect our data centres at all cost, why can’t we also have automatic fire suppression systems on charter boats mandated. Gosh we even have them in underground parking lots.
How much do you want to pay for a three day liveaboard in the US? Can you get 120 other people to pay say $1500 (or possible significantly more) so you can have a steel ship with decent compartmentalization, life boats, and a crew of mariners trained in advanced firefighting?

Back
Top Bottom