DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm...

"1" looks like this - "I" looks like this. On my computer, quite dissimilar. Human autocorrect perhaps.
Different fonts look different. I do see a difference in the two on the font SB is using, but without the one and the i being next to each other it is hard to tell for sure.

Different fonts look different. I do see a difference in the two on the font SB is using, but without the one and the i being next to each other it is hard to tell for sure.

We’re talking “autocorrect”. Don’t matter how alike they look or what font they’re in, computers won’t auto correct ones to eyes.

Found this today on amazon that I might try out:
https://www.amazon.com/Snorkeling-A...+Face+Snorkeling+Mask&qid=1603170754&sr=8-103

Sorry for the delay but I did not get back to this DIY FFM for Diving project until now. It looks like the better Snorkel FFM are the ones made with separate paths for inhalation and exhalation.

The silicone clear FFM I bought for $30 + shipping works similar to the IST FFM. The size I got fit my face but the mask view area is too small for me.

AliExpress, AliBaba, Ali anything says it all for me. No thank you, very much. IMHO, don't even log on and give your personal information.

Why So Many People Are Shopping on AliExpress Instead of Amazon
I use both Amazon and Aliexpress pretty frequently. Most Chinese sellers sell stuff on both stores. Fleabay, too. They often will mention this in their ads. Amazon will have faster shipping, Aliexpress will be cheaper if you can live with a month or more for shipping. It's not quality stuff, but sometimes it's the only place to get an oddball thing. Other times you don't really want to pay for a Honda when a Ford will do the job.

Found this today on amazon that I might try out:
https://www.amazon.com/Snorkeling-Anti-Leak-Panoramic-Breathing-Youth(Large)/dp/B08BXNY6YF/ref=sr_1_103?dchild=1&keywords=Full+Face+Snorkeling+Mask&qid=1603170754&sr=8-103

Sorry for the delay but I did not get back to this DIY FFM for Diving project until now. It looks like the better Snorkel FFM are the ones made with separate paths for inhalation and exhalation.

The silicone clear FFM I bought for $30 + shipping works similar to the IST FFM. The size I got fit my face but the mask view area is too small for me.
Are you planning to affix a second stage to the mask or do it more like a Kraken or do it like an old school single stage reg?

Recently I got the urge to buy a snorkeling full face mask and modify it for a 2nd stage regulator and remove or cap off the snorkel ports. Anybody done this recently? I mean in the last 10 yrs or less?

This is a more recent type of full face snorkel mask that I saw: View attachment 546603
With this mask the exhaust is in front of your nose/mouth. The snorkels would be removed and capped. The valve below the main exhaust at the chin area could have an adapter for the 2nd stage regulator. There's other design wishes I'd want: UW comm.
Cost from AliExpress.com $30-35 free shipping as of 10/24/2019.

Any ideas?
:whackt:

Are you planning to affix a second stage to the mask or do it more like a Kraken or do it like an old school single stage reg?[/QUOTE]

Yes, going to try my second stage on this mask on a shallow beach dive max 40ft before a deep dive 100ft. My second stage is nothing special, just taking off the mouth piece and attaching it to the FFM with a tie wrap that came with the mask.

Are you planning to affix a second stage to the mask or do it more like a Kraken or do it like an old school single stage reg?

New Update: This is the new FFM that I will be getting this summer 2024 to try out in warm waters. Will comment back afterwards with my results. Looks like I can use my OTS Buddyphone with it.

1711512651033.png

Back
Top Bottom