Galapagos Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been on the Galapagos Master liveaboard? It's currently full for the 10 day trip on November 23rd, but I'm number one on the waiting list. Good outfit? I'd love some sort of review from anyone who's been on it!

At 40% off, that sale price is hard to beat, but it's still a lot of money.

Thank you!

Good boat. Was on the Galapagos Master last year for 10 day trip. Food is good and dive op is safe. Enjoy, dive all dives if you can.

Has anyone been on the Galapagos Master liveaboard? It's currently full for the 10 day trip on November 23rd, but I'm number one on the waiting list. Good outfit? I'd love some sort of review from anyone who's been on it!

Thank you!

I was on it in December 2016. Not bad.

How is diving in Galapagos in December?

Thanks everyone! I cleared the wait list and am on! So excited. :)

Now need to buy a 7mm suit, hood, gloves, and hook. LOL...it's hard to remember when I last dove in cold water.

Thanks everyone! I cleared the wait list and am on! So excited. :)

Now need to buy a 7mm suit, hood, gloves, and hook. LOL...it's hard to remember when I last dove in cold water.

Congrats!!

Thank you!
Hi Did you end up going and what did you think of the boat and the dive masters. Thinking about going in 2021. Any travel disruptions or issues getting there with Covid? Did you have to take Covid test prior on getting on the boat. Thanks!

Hi Did you end up going and what did you think of the boat and the dive masters. Thinking about going in 2021. Any travel disruptions or issues getting there with Covid? Did you have to take Covid test prior on getting on the boat. Thanks!

I did go. I had a lovely time. I tested twice before going to Ecuador. First one week before going and again a day before to insure entry into the Galapagos. Before I was able to check in for my flight from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagos I had to show my covid test from within 96 hours and be temperature tested. Then again at landing in San Cristobal. Before getting into the panga to head to the Master everyone had their temperature checked.

The boat is lovely. The food is fantastic. The crew is great. Very friendly and helpful.

There were a couple of issues. One that was completely beyond their control and one that could be fixed.

The completely unfixable item was the conditions. The visibility was terrible. Utterly awful (on some of the dives). One guide said it was the worst he had seen in the twelve years he'd been guiding there. On some dives you could not see a foot in front of your face - a foot being generous. Because the Master is a dive boat licensed by the National Park of the Galapagos, we were only permitted to DIVE, so, although staying at the surface and snorkeling was a much better option on the poor visibility dive days, we weren't allowed to do it. The Master could have lost their license. So, we had to keep going out to dive in what we already knew were really bad conditions where we couldn't see anything.

Oh yeah another was the check out dive. IMO they do it in too shallow of water. I don't think you can dial in your wetsuit and weight requirements in 10-15 feet. I'd like to see a check out dive in a 20-25 foot dive. But maybe I'm being picky. I think all the boats do it in the same area there and it's shallow so I was over-weighted the first several days until I took some weight out of my BCD.

We were in groups of eight underwater with only one guide to each group. Again, IMO each group needed two guides for each group because the conditions are challenging.

The dive masters know what they are doing.

There are faster boats in the Galapagos, but I'd go on the Master again. I had a great time. The people were tremendous. The boat was comfortable. The food was excellent. The diving was great. But...oh my goodness, the water was COLD!!!!

I did go. I had a lovely time. I tested twice before going to Ecuador. First one week before going and again a day before to insure entry into the Galapagos. Before I was able to check in for my flight from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagos I had to show my covid test from within 96 hours and be temperature tested. Then again at landing in San Cristobal. Before getting into the panga to head to the Master everyone had their temperature checked.

The boat is lovely. The food is fantastic. The crew is great. Very friendly and helpful.

There were a couple of issues. One that was completely beyond their control and one that could be fixed.

The completely unfixable item was the conditions. The visibility was terrible. Utterly awful (on some of the dives). One guide said it was the worst he had seen in the twelve years he'd been guiding there. On some dives you could not see a foot in front of your face - a foot being generous. Because the Master is a dive boat licensed by the National Park of the Galapagos, we were only permitted to DIVE, so, although staying at the surface and snorkeling was a much better option on the poor visibility dive days, we weren't allowed to do it. The Master could have lost their license. So, we had to keep going out to dive in what we already knew were really bad conditions where we couldn't see anything.

Oh yeah another was the check out dive. IMO they do it in too shallow of water. I don't think you can dial in your wetsuit and weight requirements in 10-15 feet. I'd like to see a check out dive in a 20-25 foot dive. But maybe I'm being picky. I think all the boats do it in the same area there and it's shallow so I was over-weighted the first several days until I took some weight out of my BCD.

We were in groups of eight underwater with only one guide to each group. Again, IMO each group needed two guides for each group because the conditions are challenging.

There are faster boats in the Galapagos, but I'd go on the Master again. I had a great time. The people were tremendous. The boat was comfortable. The food was excellent. The diving was great. But...oh my goodness, the water was COLD!!!!
Did you dive 7mm? I get cold easily and dive 5mm with a hood in the Caribbean. Thanks!

Also what time of the year did you go there?

Back
Top Bottom