Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressed Steel Tank was still around as of 2018?, they are just out of the scuba business. not sure how they are currently.

I would call the tank manufactures as long as its not PST as they are long gone. If it fact its a potential defect they may cover it our work something out with you. Can't blame a dive shop for doing there job.

PST is still very much alive, but out of the diving industry. I have never seen nor heard of a manufacturing covering something like that.

@Barnaby'sDad was it condemned at VIP or condemned at hydro?

Dive shops are not legally allowed to condemn a tank without the customers permission. I.e. if they stamp anything out or drill it or whatever to permanently condemn a tank without your direct permission it is against federal law. Only DOT inspectors are allowed to condemn pressure vessels without the owners permission.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that there was actually a crack in the threads...

Sorry, there's a crack in the threads...would you like to buy a new tank?

I would like to ask if they are possibly seeing a ridge/mark, where perhaps the thread tap stopped before reversing out. I have seen that in another tank. Just a thought. If this was already said, sorry. I did not read all the comments.

Very nice! The dick who did my re-quals at the first 5-year interval condemned my Worthington LP85 that had a total of a half dozen fills to rated capacity. He blew the test, and destroyed my tank. No interaction at all. It is truly apparent he did not follow the procedure to let it stabilize in the round-out process. My loss.... not a thing I can do about it. sucked....
I remember. It's sad, no doubt.

@Barnaby'sDad was it condemned at VIP or condemned at hydro?

Dive shops are not legally allowed to condemn a tank without the customers permission. I.e. if they stamp anything out or drill it or whatever to permanently condemn a tank without your direct permission it is against federal law. Only DOT inspectors are allowed to condemn pressure vessels without the owners permission.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that there was actually a crack in the threads...

Tbone you are conflating civil and criminal liability. If a dive shop condemned the cylinder without permission then it is a civil matter not a criminal matter.

Years ago a hydro inspector condemned one of my tanks stating “it would not hold pressure”. I sent the tank to the manufacture who informed me there was a piece of grit on the o-ring flange the prevented the hydro test from sealing. The tank was still good, however, the inspector X’d out the tanks.

It really irked me the tester condemned my tank without any written consent and before contacting me.

A requalification shop is going to condemn a cylinder regardless as that is part of the process.

Tbone you are conflating civil and criminal liability. If a dive shop condemned the cylinder without permission then it is a civil matter not a criminal matter.

probably true, not a lawyer, but I do agree that there are two separate aspects of it. One is the destruction of property, the other is doing it under the auspices of someone authorized to do so.

Back
Top Bottom