Dive Travel Poll

When will you start traveling to go diving?

• Within the next six months.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • 6 months - 1 year

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Beyond 1 year

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, how would you compare medical care in Mexico with medical care in Indonesia?

I wonder if any other tourists than from the US are visiting now.

If the people that I personally know in my life, there are only a few willing to travel but only if they can get there in one direct flight. If this is true of other nations, there may not be many.

If the people that I personally know in my life, there are only a few willing to travel but only if they can get there in one direct flight. If this is true of other nations, there may not be many.
I can only speak for myself, but that is exactly the plan for me, adding in that I will allow one stop within Germany or any reasonable European country, where I have a chance to get home somehow. Some carriers like LH group even offer a "we bring you back" promise for their direct connections.

Dan, how would you compare medical care in Mexico with medical care in Indonesia?

I dove in Mexico & Indonesia many times, but only once experiencing medical care when I was in Indonesia and none in Mexico. So, I can't compare them based on my personal experience. I would say get yourself a medical insurance (that covers international travel & dive accident like DAN) when you are travelling in those countries.

My medical care experience in Indonesia was excellent. Here is the story. I was at the last day of a liveaboard trip in Cendrawasih Bay when I fell off a stairs, landed on my right knee & broke my knee cap into two. I called DAN for advice. They said I was covered. The boat took me to the nearest hospital in Manukwari to get the X-Ray then flew me to Jakarta for knee surgery. Stayed for 2 weeks in Jakarta for pre & post surgery for $5000, which was covered by my health insurance (in USA it would cost my health insurance company twice). Flew home on business class, because the seat has room for keeping my right leg straight, for $5000 one way, which was covered by DAN.

My friend at work went to Mexico to get his dental inplant for half the cost of if he had it done in USA. He is happy with the work.

So, based on those limited data, I would say medical care in Indonesia or Mexico would be similar as long as you have money to cover the cost.

Travel insurance is a must.
Unfortunately some of them has an exclusion on this "Chinese Virus" so read the small print!
In SE Asia the four most popular diving destinations are more or less off limited to tourist/diver.

Hope for the best!!

Travel insurance is a must.
Unfortunately some of them has an exclusion on this "Chinese Virus" so read the small print!
In SE Asia the four most popular diving destinations are more or less off limited to tourist/diver.

Hope for the best!!
Why keep on naming it "Chinese Virus" ? We do not name storms after the country where they originate from.

Our friend had an odd dive-related incident during our September incident - thought it might be DCS but turned out NOT to be DCS - still not sure what happened medically. But the important part for this thread is they were taken to CostaMed, where they felt they got great care. They returned the next day for a planned follow-up visit and the entire cost was covered by their DAN insurance.

Our friend had an odd dive-related incident during our September incident - thought it might be DCS but turned out NOT to be DCS - still not sure what happened medically. But the important part for this thread is they were taken to CostaMed, where they felt they got great care. They returned the next day for a planned follow-up visit and the entire cost was covered by their DAN insurance.

I just had lunch with my dive buddy and she really wants to get away but can't figure out where to go. She and her husband have flight points, as well as, credits that are burning time.

That said, their criteria for the trip, include to be one direct flight, so only two airports to deal with, no quarantine, etc etc. She tossed around Mexico. Later today, she'd done her self-assigned homework. In her opinion, Mexico scared the crap out of her from a covid perspective.

Back
Top Bottom