Best dive spots along NSW north coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pinnacle is a brilliant dive, on par with the best of Fish Rock and Pimpernel Rock (north of North Solitaries). Spot A is also excellent.

I am a fan of Dive Quest at Mulloway. The North Solitaries are a good spot for Grey Nurse Sharks.

Thanks everyone! Just figured I'd tack onto this thread. I've heard Blue Bay Divers recommended for Julian Rocks, but they'll be a bit afield for where I'll be staying, and only will be doing weekends while I'm there (would like to do some weekdays). So, has anyone had experience with Sundive in downtown Byron Bay?

Not a fan, geared at back packers.
Also sadly like a lot of other operators enforcing restrictive dive times.

Just an update since you folks were helpful!

I’m about partway through my trip and really glad I did Fish Rock: I had 4 dives booked, unfortunately could only do 3 since I got too cold for the 4th (I *really* need to get a drysuit, even heavy layering of wet gear just doesn’t cut it in 17/18C), but the cave entrance, nurse sharks, wobbegongs, bull rays and even some distant hammerheads made everything *so* worth it! Free nitrox and unlimited dive times were great and SWR Dive Centre was a very safe op.

I’ve been up in Byron for a week, with another week to go, but I probably won’t get any dives in before I leave because of record breaking surf, floods, and wind from a storm that I had the pleasure to be here for :) I will say Blue Bay Divers has been awesome at answering my 500 questions and rescheduling me as we try to get even one day of good weather. Cross your fingers for one day!

If it doesn’t work out, I’m hoping to hit up Wooli dive on my way south, and maybe Nelson bay as well.

Sorry to re-open and old thread, but felt a lot of the info on here is still relevant and would like some local input. We're planning a trip up the coast for next summer (prob late nov / early dec, just before the hols) and are split between whether to base in Coffs or Byron (or somewhere else?). I'll be diving but my partner doesn't. We both love fairly easy/laid-back rainforest trails/walks and I like diving and she likes the beach so any thoughts/suggestions would be great.

We're both laid back and like unpretentious surroundings. Neither of us are really into nightlife. I like fairly laid back "easy diving". Nice reefs, and interesting macro and fish life are my passion. Not massively into pelagics or wrecks, but I'd make an exception for mantas and turtles, or wrecks that are good for life :)

We're leaning toward Coffs as my partner has lovely childhood memories from there, but always open to ideas.

Byron Bay is now very expensive, a paradise lost to the greedy, house prices and rents $$$$ over the top.
It WAS my place to surf , dive and fish in my youth, Julian Rocks Nguthungulli Nature Reserve is a good dive , a dive not to be missed, when I have dived it I stayed miles away and only went to Byron for the boat trip out.
Good luck finding some place to stay that will not cost 'an arm and a leg'.

It has been 7 years since I was on a business trip in Sydney and I rode with a bunch of folks to SWR, diving with Fish Rock Dive Center (new owner now I understand). Absolutely amazing. One of my favorite sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom