My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I somehow assumed that it was a ladder to get back in town at low tide, not a ladder on the boat itself
It is. The boats have lifts of course. Scotland is not some third world country.

Double checking on google street view it looks like 5m. There is a bloke getting onto a boat farther into the harbour where it dries out and that ladder is twice his height. The ladder in question faces away and is in a slightly deeper bit. The tidal range this weekend is just over 5m. I have never seen the water come over the quay there, but of course you don’t try to choose springs.

Street view can be very helpful in sussing out harbours and entries when you are hundreds of miles away.

You can choose to have your kit craned on or lowered/lifted on a rope over the quay side. If you don’t like that you have no choice but to carry it. If you haven’t planned for that and all your stuff is in plastic carrier bags or loose then it is a complete pain.

So, when the Dive Manager tells you to make sure your kit can be craned, listen and do something about it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

this isn't the thread for off topic humor at this point. Please be understanding. Two posts have been reluctantly deleted to prevent more problems in a thread that already caused us too much work.

So, when the Dive Manager tells you to make sure your kit can be craned, listen and do something about it.

I would be putting one of those commercial diver lifting loops on my gear most rikki tik.

*Makes sure that the crotch strap is out of the way of the jewels* "Ok you can lift me now"

Just saw this post, I am not sure I’d feel safe climbing a 8m ladder with equipment on my back.

I would totally add twinset ladder climbing to my fitness program. Obviously it would be difficult to replicate the motion of swells to load one’s arms.

Mask on face, reg in mouth, until you are back on the boat, I would say fins on wrists too. Earlier this year I was ejected off a ladder in high seas. These tenets served me well.

It's
Mask on face reg in place
fins on feet till bum in seat

and fins on wrists impede progress so
chest strap if it doesn't come with the bc
must be fashioned specifically for fins

It's
Mask on face reg in place
fins on feet till bum in seat

and fins on wrists impede progress so
chest strap if it doesn't come with the bc
must be fashioned specifically for fins
I have flipped my fins onto my wrists so many times that it is second nature. It would probably be harder for me to separately clip them to me.

That's great, clipping is a real challenge sometimes
and it was far easier with synthetic not spring straps

I seem to have far rougher dives permanently embeded into my psyche
where fins or even gauges on wrists would lead to my severe detriment

and the gauges

The OP was in, as I recall, a nitrox-related thread some time ago where she did not understand the point others were making, and dogmatically bulled her way onward without learning anything. We're told, a few posts back, that this attitude is some sort of Chicago attitude, which apparently may be endearing to some, but it seems remarkably self-defeating. As, sadly, a lot of self-gratifying things are. I'm glad she's reportedly doing well. But there is one more thing we all ought to learn for SB usage in general, which is that doing things like ordering people off "your" thread (which has happened repeatedly in this thread) isn't appropriate or respectable intellectual discussion about tech matters or anything else. At one point in this thread someone posted a good summary about gloves. She warned him she'd only be polite once (ironic indeed) and told him to stop doing that. The responses following that were actually reasoned. For example, "It's not off topic. There have been pages of discussion about cold water dexterity, gloves, seals under gloves, and bungies vs tubes." I'd rather celebrate the people who offered factual, reasoned, articulate, and kind posts, than glorify Chicago attitude, whatever that is.

Christmas tree ladder, fins ON, time your grab to the ladder at the start of the downstroke, be a flag until the bottom. Set your feet before the upstroke, go fetal to preserve your mask and reg. Ride out the first upstroke, wait for the downstroke, gain ONE step for both feet at the bottom, go fetal, repeat until you are onboard FULLY kitted up.

IMHO.
Hello. Perfect advice. I was climbing a Christmas tree last Wednesday. Because, I'm fairly tall, and long legged. I had to consciously go up one rung at a time.
I naturally, subconsciously want to skip a rung, which never fairs well.
I always come on board "Fully Kitted." including fins.
Cheers.

Mask on face, reg in mouth, until you are back on the boat, I would say fins on wrists too. Earlier this year I was ejected off a ladder in high seas. These tenets served me well.

That's standard operating procedure in the TX Flower Gardens, home of 'sporty seas'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom