Why I love Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This side of the pond, I hardly ever see Atomic regs. It's all Scubapro or Apeks. Unless I'm diving with a buddy whose gear is a lot older than my OW cert.

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?
Just a guess, but it does not look like they push their product much outside of US?
The Atomic store locator shows only 3 locations outside of the US. Those 3 are in England.

I an Atomic in Storker's photos

I an Atomic in Storker's photos
I've dived with buddies whose gear is older than my OW cert

big typo i meant to saw Atomic in some of your photos

Another reason to love Atomic: Look at the tolerances of how this valve barrel keys into the reg housing, totally flush, no play:
IMG_2513.JPG

@rsingler

I love my SS1. Since you service them, I'm wondering if you can provide some insight.

1) they say to only soak them in water when pressurized to prevent water intrusion. I have QDs on all my regs and just soak them in fresh water for 1-3 hrs after a dive. Do you think that matters? Should I do it pressurized or just rinse it only instead?

2) I believe recommended maintenance is every 100 dives or 2 years. Is that spot on or would you recommend measuring something or a different interval?

Cheers.

Highest quality products and designs made in the US of A from a stable company that has been in business for a very long time. Far more than what the small time wanna be companies that claim to be "manufacturers" but they source everything they sell from companies in Asia who are copy cats of products made in the US or Western Europe can offer.

Be careful, you'll get a telling off haha

1) they say to only soak them in water when pressurized to prevent water intrusion. I have QDs on all my regs and just soak them in fresh water for 1-3 hrs after a dive. Do you think that matters? Should I do it pressurized or just rinse it only instead?

2) I believe recommended maintenance is every 100 dives or 2 years. Is that spot on or would you recommend measuring something or a different interval?

Cheers.
With a quick disconnect, you have removed the source of concern: water tracking up the hose due to the floating seat and into the first stage. If you disconnect your SS1 from the bcd hose, it's perfectly okay to soak in fresh water.

A 2 year service interval is more than reasonable, IF you rinse the reg after every trip. SS1's and Air 2's and AirSource regs are notorious for corrosion, but mostly because they're left damp on the bcd after a saltwater dive. If you disconnect and rinse them like your primary second stage, the seat can last more than 2 years easily. However, it is probably worth dropping by your LDS to have them retuned yearly. They are downstream second stages, and the floating seat carrier can rotate out of adjustment over the course of a year's diving. But that should take no more than 10 min work, and a minimal charge.

Yeah, Atomic makes great regs and my favorite mask by far, I agree. However they need to get out and stay out of the computer business....IMHO

With a quick disconnect, you have removed the source of concern: water tracking up the hose due to the floating seat and into the first stage. If you disconnect your SS1 from the bcd hose, it's perfectly okay to soak in fresh water.

A 2 year service interval is more than reasonable, IF you rinse the reg after every trip. SS1's and Air 2's and AirSource regs are notorious for corrosion, but mostly because they're left damp on the bcd after a saltwater dive. If you disconnect and rinse them like your primary second stage, the seat can last more than 2 years easily. However, it is probably worth dropping by your LDS to have them retuned yearly. They are downstream second stages, and the floating seat carrier can rotate out of adjustment over the course of a year's diving. But that should take no more than 10 min work, and a minimal charge.

"that should take no more than 10 min work, and a minimal charge" :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom