Fishing boat captain dead after boat collision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Cozumel boat captain dies after vessel hit - Riviera Maya News
Cozumel, Q.R. — A Cozumel boat captain died Friday night after his boat was hit by another vessel. Reports say the man, who was captain of Zitlali, was killed after an accident in Cozumel waters.

The accident happened around 8:00 p.m. when Zitlali was anchored after a day of fishing. With its captain still on board unloading the day’s catch, Zitlali was accidentally hit by another vessel, causing the captain to fall into the sea.

It was approximately two hours before his body was finally located and pulled from the water. He was found alive and rushed to hospital, where shortly after arriving, authorities reported the death of Captain David Chulim at the General Hospital.

And as of last night, no charges for the guy driving the other boat, something about procedure not being followed.

He didn’t just hit the boat, he went up overtop of the boat.

something about procedure not being followed.
Was the victim unloading in a no-dock area?

He didn’t just hit the boat, he went up overtop of the boat.
I know that a boat is difficult to stop, but could the other guy not see him? That sounds like a lot of speed in an unloading area.

It took 2 hours to find the captain but he was still alive but died later at the hospital? Wow, did I read that right?

The accident happened around 7:15, it seems that one boat was out at the buoys preparing to come ashore when it was hit by another boat. The boat was hit about mid ship on the starboard side and there's damage on the port side of it's engine - if the engine damage is new, it seems that the other boat drove over top of him. These are like 25' Imensa fishing boats, both are the same style boats. I'm not sure how dark it is at 7:15, I think the sun is just setting or just set about then.

The one boat fled the scene - two people in the water from the boat that was hit, one makes it out of the water and David was missing for two hours. The Army did the search and recovery and transported David to the hospital where he died. I seen a video of them putting David in the truck, it wasn't obvious he was hit by the prop.

The boat that hit the other was secured by the federal people yesterday and taken to the Port Captains property. There's an uproar right now as there was some sort of mishandling of the reporting of the accident and charges haven't been filed - Port Captain didn't call 911 or something, seems confusing to me.

CHOCAN EMBARCACIONES EN LA RADA DE COZUMEL, HAY UNA PERSONA DESAPARECIDA

The accident happened around 7:15, it seems that one boat was out at the buoys preparing to come ashore when it was hit by another boat. The boat was hit about mid ship on the starboard side and there's damage on the port side of it's engine - if the engine damage is new, it seems that the other boat drove over top of him. These are like 25' Imensa fishing boats, both are the same style boats. I'm not sure how dark it is at 7:15, I think the sun is just setting or just set about then.

The one boat fled the scene - two people in the water from the boat that was hit, one makes it out of the water and David was missing for two hours. The Army did the search and recovery and transported David to the hospital where he died. I seen a video of them putting David in the truck, it wasn't obvious he was hit by the prop.

The boat that hit the other was secured by the federal people yesterday and taken to the Port Captains property. There's an uproar right now as there was some sort of mishandling of the reporting of the accident and charges haven't been filed - Port Captain didn't call 911 or something, seems confusing to me.

CHOCAN EMBARCACIONES EN LA RADA DE COZUMEL, HAY UNA PERSONA DESAPARECIDA

This is horrible. I'm glad that they impounded the other boat.

The accident happened around 7:15, it seems that one boat was out at the buoys preparing to come ashore when it was hit by another boat.
For the moving boat to go up and over the other one, it sounds like he was going much too fast in a buoyed area?

I'm not sure how dark it is at 7:15
Current Cozumel Sunset time:6:20:51 PM; Last light at 6:43:08 PM
https://sunrise-sunset.org/search?location=cozumel

The one boat fled the scene
Instead of rendering aid. They'd call that manslaughter in the US.

so sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to the captain's family and all involved with this preventable tragedy!

so sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to the captain's family and all involved with this preventable tragedy!

There is plenty of blame to go around. Any vessel on the water after dark is required to have running lights (red, Green, and a white.. Or if anchored at least a white anchoring light. That boat should not have been there.

Dave Dillehay

Back
Top Bottom