equipment logbook suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody.

I was wondering how people keep (or don't keep) track of their equipment maintenance records.
My memory is very bad and I like to keep records of maintenance, inspections, problems, remedies etc for future reference.

Up to now I used an Excel spreadsheet. I have a "general" tab having a list of all my equipment with the date and description of the last event (such us maintenance/inspection/problem etc) together with a day count since then. The purpose of this is to have an overview and be able to prepare for coming maintenance with reminders, "days since last maintenance" counters etc.

Then I use more tabs (eg one for each piece of equipment) for more detailed history.

The problem I am facing is that miraculously their numbers seem to grow exponentially (ok not really but you know what I mean) hence adding tabs to the spreadsheets becomes impractical - not to mention that several pieces of equipment get mixed up now and then (for example regs 1st stages paired with different 2nd stages to be used as main vs pony reg sets etc).

I thought of getting rid of this spreadsheet and instead use a calendar like approach (date, equipment id, event/explanation). It will be easier to record / view but things like maintenance remainders (eg days since last service/inspection) become problematic.

Any other options out there??

BTW In case you are wondering, here is a rough list of my equipment:
- 3 tanks with their valves
- 2 reg sets (one primary, one for pony/stage)
- BPW
- 2 dive computers
- camera with casing and 2 strobes
Accessories such as suits, lights, DSMBs, masks, fins etc don't get that much attention.

They don't look that many after all - but still. I am sure there are people out there with much more than that - how do they keep such records?? I can't imagine if I had more...

Thanks

I have a tab in a spreadsheet where I record the last test date and the next visual (2½ years) and hydro (5 years) dates for my cylinders – which are mandatory.

Regs get serviced when I feel they need it.

All other kit gets checked after use, when maintenance, or replacement is actioned,

I keep a record of monies spent in a financial app.

Tanks: Look at your tank VIZ Sticker & Hydro Stamp before every dive trip
Valves are recommended to be serviced at minimum every 5 years or at hydro. Otherwise it is inspected for leaks and not serviced preventively unless one it found. (according to Thermo's service manual)

Regulator & BC: Look at your dive log book for last dive. Highlight first dive of the year on a "new" reg and add-on date when you serviced it last.

Computer: Same as above but you should also cycle power and see if the battery indicator pops

I of course get my 4 tanks visualised annually and hydroed every 5 years--always in October. I get the reg inspected/worked on every 2 years or when I think it needs it, or before any deep diving I may do after years of only 30' shore dives. I do nothing with the BCD. I may use the computer like once a year and rinse it.
For these things I have a couple of handwritten notes that I tape to the closet door where my equipment is stored.
I guess if you have more stuff to get serviced you may consider some sort of spread sheet for convenience.

I log dates and equipment with remarks in one single tab. Create a table with it so you can filter them easily if you need a better overview of a single piece of equipment.

My local shop makes us a little booklet for each regulator or set. It includes a copy of the purchase receipts, date, serial numbers, maintenance done by the tech, parts and numbers and a signature or stamp.
This is useful especially as I keep my regs on the manufacturers free parts program.

My weapon of choice : I download all my dive on my old MacMini (I use it for that purpose only now) with MacDive. This software allow you to keep track of any piece of equipment you used on a particular dive. There's a built in data base, you just have to complete with all the details of your gear, and there's a maintenance part for each item.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom