USVI Dive Vacation - what do we need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

June and July are great times to be here. All the restaurants are open but still not as crowded as Jan - April. Normally a little windy at that time of the year which will not effect diving at the Pier but might make boat dives on the North Wall a bit more challenging.

We enjoy this time of the year because we often are the only divers at the Pier (and nothing more than a batching suit needed. Nothing like having the whole ocean to yourself. :D Lots of turtles roaming around right now and they are very tame.

Hummm I don't like the wind and want to dive the walls. When we were there in Feb of 2019- there were a number of dive sites we couldn't go to because of the wind and rough seas. Just gotta figure out the best time to go when the wind is down but the water temps are preferably in at least the 80's and even into the mid-80's!

Yes and July 4th fireworks from the pier!!!!! Do they still do that?

They did not this year because of the pandemic. Normally they do fireworks on July 4th and I would expect it to resume this year

The folks on St Croix love any excuse for a party and they do know how to party “Jump Ups ” are some of the best street parties you will ever attend.

Hummm I don't like the wind and want to dive the walls. When we were there in Feb of 2019- there were a number of dive sites we couldn't go to because of the wind and rough seas. Just gotta figure out the best time to go when the wind is down but the water temps are preferably in at least the 80's and even into the mid-80's!

January through March is windy. With temperatures in the low to mid 70's at night we don't even use the Air
Conditioning. I can only recall one dive in February where the water temperature was under 80 but the water does not warm to the mid 80's until late June. the island almost always has an East wind blowing at 10-20 mph. But if you dive in the morning, it is usually less than 15, which is divable, and builds toward the afternoon. Afternoon boat dives are usually done on the West End because of the calmer conditions. The wrecks and end of the Pier (batfish and sea horses) are good afternoon boat dives.

The weather can be changeable - we have had a steady day and a half of heavy showers (pool and cistern overflowing) and the pool temperature dropped from 90 to 86. but the sun is out now and all is well. Plus the Pier can be dived even during the rain (just bring a light) and turtles seem to enjoy the rain.

I will say it again - this is not a tourist island - little night life but great restaurants. and the people are friendly but you need to say "Good Morning", Good Day" and/or Good Evening" first in order to engage them (the secret to interacting with the locals, revealed :)

American and Delta have announced they are increasing flights to STX next year since they feel that travel to other islands in the Caribbean will be restricted. So getting here should be easier.

Happy to answer any questions about STX.

January through March is windy. With temperatures in the low to mid 70's at night we don't even use the Air
Conditioning. I can only recall one dive in February where the water temperature was under 80 but the water does not warm to the mid 80's until late June. the island almost always has an East wind blowing at 10-20 mph. But if you dive in the morning, it is usually less than 15, which is divable, and builds toward the afternoon. Afternoon boat dives are usually done on the West End because of the calmer conditions. The wrecks and end of the Pier (batfish and sea horses) are good afternoon boat dives.

The weather can be changeable - we have had a steady day and a half of heavy showers (pool and cistern overflowing) and the pool temperature dropped from 90 to 86. but the sun is out now and all is well. Plus the Pier can be dived even during the rain (just bring a light) and turtles seem to enjoy the rain.

I will say it again - this is not a tourist island - little night life but great restaurants. and the people are friendly but you need to say "Good Morning", Good Day" and/or Good Evening" first in order to engage them (the secret to interacting with the locals, revealed :)

American and Delta have announced they are increasing flights to STX next year since they feel that travel to other islands in the Caribbean will be restricted. So getting here should be easier.

Thanks so much... this helps a lot. I will most likely keep plans for June / July time then.
I know weather changes and ya never know for sure what you're going to get but nice to know what weather USUALLY is like at a certain time of year.

I do know it's not a tourist Island and am good with that. I loved just walking up and down the streets looking at all the shops and such. Taking a local tour up to Udall and through the area!
Hell, I'm getting old and am in bed by 9:30 PM, so I roll up before the sidewalks do anyway! LOL

Good info on the airlines - only thing is.... what are the restrictions to get there for non-essential travel?

Happy to answer any questions about STX.

Right now you need a negative Covid test within 5 days of entry.(or positive antibody test)

Here is the link:

For Travelers | USVI Department of Health

This will change over time depending on if/where there are any outbreaks.

AA has indicated they will start daily flights from CLT to STX in late November and through June (instead of just Saturday)
They will increase flights from MIA to 2 per day at the same time.

I think Spirit is flying daily from FLL

Delta will fly Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from ATL starting mid December (based on reservation system info - but not confirmed)

Late June/July is the secondary tourist season (vs Jan-Apr). We prefer early June - normally arrive week after Memorial Day and leave after July 4.

How do mobile phone services work in the USVI if you are traveling from the continental US?

Do you need to buy a local SIM card, or add an international calling package to your mobile account to avoid roaming charges?

AT&T works fine. There are dead spots but not many. Sprint/T-Mobile work also but not as well. And some folks indicated that Verizon works but with more dead zones.

You do not need an International Calling Plan - 340 is a US area code - no roaming charges (unless Verizon has them).

You do not need an International Calling Plan - 340 is a US area code - no roaming charges

One of the nice things about travel to USVI - to be able to call businesses or dive ops to get info you want before travel. Even beats email!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom