Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at how it goes in many European countries at the moment, I highly doubt if Indonesia will see foreign tourists before earliest August 2021. As long as we need Covid-19 protocols I do not expect foreign divers visiting.

I agree, unfortunately - I'm talking to people in the Maldives, and the situation is still complex after the early "no strings attached" reopening of private resort islands in July - resort staff were contaminated by arriving guests, which led to closures.
Local islands are still not open yet because of the fear of contaminating (often elderly) local population in a place with very little medical infrastructure.

Given the current situation, reopening means having a plan to handle new outbreaks linked to tourism, both for staff, tourists, and local population in contact with them, which isn't as straightforward as it might seem.

I agree, unfortunately - I'm talking to people in the Maldives, and the situation is still complex after the early "no strings attached" reopening of private resort islands in July - resort staff were contaminated by arriving guests, which led to closures.
Local islands are still not open yet because of the fear of contaminating (often elderly) local population in a place with very little medical infrastructure.

Given the current situation, reopening means having a plan to handle new outbreaks linked to tourism, both for staff, tourists, and local population in contact with them, which isn't as straightforward as it might seem.
Thanks, you read my mind. Was wondering how the Maldivian experiment was going. Looked as a solid plan. What scared me suddenly is that they hardly or not all test what the vaccines doing to people who are already infected, without knowing this.

Looking at how it goes in many European countries at the moment, I highly doubt if Indonesia will see foreign tourists before earliest August 2021. As long as we need Covid-19 protocols I do not expect foreign divers visiting.

that’s exactly the reason that I will come. ‘Less divers who decide not to come’

All of these guidelines were in place in Egypt 2 weeks ago. None were an issue on the liveaboards and once rapid testing is available easily, the rest are pretty simple.

I really would love to go to Indonesia, but we are currently in the process of getting everything canceled for December:

- flight to Jakarta has been canceled by SingAir
- uncertain status of our flights within Indondesia
- Indonesia is still closed for visitors
- if anything happens and I'm not back on time I will loos my job and have no right to claim unemployment benefits as I caused my job loss
- as long as Indonesia is a risk area, I will loose my entitlement of sick pay as well as the compensation for the 2 week mandatory quarantaine

Hope we get this sorted in the next year

that’s exactly the reason that I will come. ‘Less divers who decide not to come’

All of these guidelines were in place in Egypt 2 weeks ago. None were an issue on the liveaboards and once rapid testing is available easily, the rest are pretty simple.
At the moment 40.000 people are tested daily in the whole of Indonesia. Example, the City Bitung, population 220.000. Per day 50 rapid test and 50 PCR tests. Majority are people feeling fine and need the test to travel domestic. To come across somebody recently tested is extreme rare. There is no logistic for large scale testing.

At the moment 40.000 people are tested daily in the whole of Indonesia. Example, the City Bitung, population 220.000. Per day 50 rapid test and 50 PCR tests. Majority are people feeling fine and need the test to travel domestic. To come across somebody recently tested is extreme rare. There is no logistic for large scale testing.

agreed, but you don’t need large scale testing... you just need very small scale testing of the people getting onto the boat. And then sticking a thermometer on their head for 5 seconds each morning as they yawn.

agreed, but you don’t need large scale testing... you just need very small scale testing of the people getting onto the boat. And then sticking a thermometer on their head for 5 seconds each morning as they yawn.
You still have to get to the boat first. And that the test also shows all cases of people being infected one or two days before getting on the boat.

You still have to get to the boat first. And that the test also shows all cases of people being infected one or two days before getting on the boat.
2 wks of quarantine before being allowed to board!!!!! Any other way does not make any sense!

2 wks of quarantine before being allowed to board!!!!! Any other way does not make any sense!
How to control this? They will go to "meet" their girlfriends, do things which cannot wait such as buying cigarettes, be with their families who are free t9 contact anybody. Just impossible outside China and North Korea.

I don’t understand your point? You still had to get to the boat in Egypt...I was just commenting that it was basically no real issue in Egypt..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom