New member from Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shovelshort

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

I have followed this board for awhile and finally registered.

I just turned 51 y/o. I became a certified diver at our local YMCA along with my Father when I was 16 after a family trip to the Keys. My Father continued to dive and I quit shortly after, only doing a few local freshwater quarry dives. Over the years I also lost my physical card.

About 10 years ago I lost my Father in a skydiving accident and inherited all of his gear; BCD (US Divers Calypso), regs (Sherwood), fins, etc.

Two years ago the Army stationed my daughter and her husband in Hawai’i. They both became certified and he immediately convinced me to get a new card. After some searching I found out that SEI took over the now defunct YMCA certifications. I got a new card and immediately took a refresher class at my LDS. It was like the last 30 years never passed. I remembered everything and took right back to it.

Shortly after my wife and I flew to Hawai’i and I dove all week with my son in law and a few times with my daughter. 2 bottles every day we either shore dived or chartered a boat. Wrecks, drifts, walls, we did it that week.

The following winter I went to the Keys with some guys from work (I’m a firefighter that uses an SCBA, why I think I took back to diving so easily). We dove all week together and had a blast.

I am so hooked again. Presently looking at replacing my perfectly operational Calypso with a BPW after lots of research on here. Leaning towards a really good deal on a Mares XDR Blue Battle.

Look forward to learning more and playing catch up for the last 30 years.

Hello All,

I just turned 51 y/o. I became a certified diver at our local YMCA along with my Father when I was 16 after a family trip to the Keys. My Father continued to dive and I quit shortly after, only doing a few local freshwater quarry dives. Over the years I also lost my physical card.

About 10 years ago I lost my Father in a skydiving accident and inherited all of his gear; BCD (US Divers Calypso), regs (Sherwood), fins, etc.

Two years ago the Army stationed my daughter and her husband in Hawai’i. They both became certified and he immediately convinced me to get a new card. After some searching I found out that SEI took over the now defunct YMCA certifications. I got a new card and immediately took a refresher class at my LDS. It was like the last 30 years never passed. I remembered everything and took right back to it.

Shortly after my wife and I flew to Hawai’i and I dove all week with my son in law and a few times with my daughter. 2 bottles every day we either shore dived or chartered a boat. Wrecks, drifts, walls, we did it that week.

The following winter I went to the Keys with some guys from work (I’m a firefighter that uses an SCBA, why I think I took back to diving so easily). We dove all week together and had a blast.

I am so hooked again. Presently looking at replacing my perfectly operational Calypso with a BPW after lots of research on here. Leaning towards a really good deal on a Mares XDR Blue Battle.

Welcome! Shame your card got misplaced, anyone with a YMCA cert now is practically a celebrity!

Welcome back to diving. As a fellow 51-year old, I hope you've got years of good diving ahead.

Richard.

Hello All,

Welcome to Scubaboard! So pleased to read of your renewal and that you're in it deep like the rest of us.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures too.

Welcome back to diving. As a fellow 51-year old, I hope you've got years of good diving ahead.

Richard.

Did you mean to say that you "know" he's got years ahead? :p

I've got a couple of years on you two whippersnappers, so yes, I know that you have years of diving ahead.

Welcome to the board from a fellow Buckeye. Wishing you many years of great diving!!!

Hello All,

Where in Ohio?

Back
Top Bottom