How to choose the right torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The D26 1600 does turn on by accident a lot. If I clip it to my chest D-ring and bungee it down onto the shoulder strap, it will almost always end up getting turned on by accident. And that is with it starting off locked. It's because unlocking only requires a long press. That part of the design is stupid.

I am wondering if this can be solved by using some kind of DIY additional safety lock mechanism on the D26 1600, perhaps something can be done...
I placed an offer at the equivalent of 45 USD but I didn't get an answer, will try again with a higher offer

I am wondering if this can be solved by using some kind of DIY additional safety lock mechanism on the D26 1600, perhaps something can be done...
I placed an offer at the equivalent of 45 USD but I didn't get an answer, will try again with a higher offer

I don't think you'll get a response for the 1600. That's low.

I thought about making something on a 3D printer to slip around the button, but that's way down on my to do list.

IMG_20200609_071205.jpg

IMG_20200609_071140.jpg

IMG_20200609_071155.jpg

This is a volador 1000 (Amazon) I got for about 50$ and then I made this Goodman handle out of some scrap aluminum I have laying around. Only taken it on day dives so far, however where I dive is bad vis until you get low and by then the light barely penetrates down. Bright enough for the time being, I wish the spot was 'slightly' wider but I'm really just being picky.
Here's a picture I got from my GoPro on my last dive. Footage was shakey but gives a right idea of how it looks around 60 ft under some algae
GOPR1887_1591724377282.jpg

GOPR1887_1591724388520.jpg

For what it's worth, I had an OrcaTorch die on me and still no response from OrcaTorch. Back in Nov 2018, I ordered 2 D500+ lights, one for my buddy and one for myself. As of Jan 2020, my torch is essentially inoperable. It seems that the gold plating on the Positive terminal (at the light head) had somehow delaminated. The torch was never flooded, was always rinsed well after every dive, and cleaned and lubed before and after every dive trip. I emailed them a week ago and still no reply. The torches were purchased from a dealer in the US, but I (and the torches) are in Manila, so the dealer really cannot (understandably) do much... I have some leftover copper "shielding tape" with conductive adhesive (from shielding a guitar cavity), cut out a small disc and applied to the positive terminal with no change in functionality... At this point, it's hard to tell if the issue is with the LED, the magnetic switch, or the positive terminal... Since I have a replacement on the way (see below), I may try and open the light head to see if I can determine a cause of the failure.

Also of note, the D500+ is now discontinued, and seems to have had a very short production life... Maybe that's indicative of some issues with the light, or they just rolled it into a different model...I don't know... But I felt it worth mentioning.

Based on this thread, as well as a few other sources online, I'm going to try the Xtar D26 Whale. I will update when they arrive and get to dive 'em. Hopefully, this light will last longer....

For what it's worth, I had an OrcaTorch die on me and still no response from OrcaTorch. Back in Nov 2018, I ordered 2 D500+ lights, one for my buddy and one for myself. As of Jan 2020, my torch is essentially inoperable. It seems that the gold plating on the Positive terminal (at the light head) had somehow delaminated. The torch was never flooded, was always rinsed well after every dive, and cleaned and lubed before and after every dive trip. I emailed them a week ago and still no reply. The torches were purchased from a dealer in the US, but I (and the torches) are in Manila, so the dealer really cannot (understandably) do much... I have some leftover copper "shielding tape" with conductive adhesive (from shielding a guitar cavity), cut out a small disc and applied to the positive terminal with no change in functionality... At this point, it's hard to tell if the issue is with the LED, the magnetic switch, or the positive terminal... Since I have a replacement on the way (see below), I may try and open the light head to see if I can determine a cause of the failure.

Also of note, the D500+ is now discontinued, and seems to have had a very short production life... Maybe that's indicative of some issues with the light, or they just rolled it into a different model...I don't know... But I felt it worth mentioning.

Based on this thread, as well as a few other sources online, I'm going to try the Xtar D26 Whale. I will update when they arrive and get to dive 'em. Hopefully, this light will last longer....

That really sucks, sorry to hear you had problems. I have the same light (Orcatorch D550+) and have been very happy with mine. I have been running it now for 2 or 3 years and it has been a great little light. Although, to be honest, it is usually a backup light or a loaner.

DW

That really sucks, sorry to hear you had problems. I have the same light (Orcatorch D550+) and have been very happy with mine. I have been running it now for 2 or 3 years and it has been a great little light. Although, to be honest, it is usually a backup light or a loaner.

DW

Meh, I figure that, at this price-point, it happens, and the mfg is less likely to support the purchase, as opposed to UK, BigBlue or LightMonkey... As far as I know currently, my buddy's light (D500+) is still going strong.

I have no concrete information to base this on, but I think the D500+ later became the D550.

Meh, I figure that, at this price-point, it happens, and the mfg is less likely to support the purchase, as opposed to UK, BigBlue or LightMonkey... As far as I know currently, my buddy's light (D500+) is still going strong.

I have no concrete information to base this on, but I think the D500+ later became the D550.

That is pretty much how I approached the purchase. You may be right, the only difference I can see is the location of the on/off switch.

DW

I have the XTAR D26 1600...and love it.

The first one I got about a year ago...had trouble screwing together...and then the light switch failed.

I shipped it to China [cost as much as the light...~$68 for a new one]....and they just emailed last night to say it was fixed and on its way back to me, under warranty.

In the meantime, I bought a new one from the same place...www.lightmalls.com...and it came with a much easier to screw together case.

I am now waiting for the repaired one to come back :)

I have the XTAR D26 1600...and love it.

The first one I got about a year ago...had trouble screwing together...and then the light switch failed.

I shipped it to China [cost as much as the light...~$68 for a new one]....and they just emailed last night to say it was fixed and on its way back to me, under warranty.

In the meantime, I bought a new one from the same place...www.lightmalls.com...and it came with a much easier to screw together case.

I am now waiting for the repaired one to come back :)

Great post! It's refreshing to see a company on the cheaper end of the spectrum supporting their product. It really is a gamble when going to cheaper products. I hope this is a trend that Xtar will continue.

It really makes me feel better about ordering those lights, I'm hopeful they'll last a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom