Cow Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just gathering some intelligence for a future dive. I'm hoping to get to LR this weekend, in case the flood decides to come.

What I'm able to glean:
NSS-CDS membership required, get code/key from Dive Outpost.

Downstream - open to everyone, just dive within your limits. It is a light siphon but not enough to drastically change gas planning.

Upstream - Limited to full cave only, having a couple if restrictions at the start, and one section where you need a pull rope. Excellent buoyancy required as the clay banks are nearly untouched.

How bad is the upstream flow? How bad are the restrictions for a sidemount diver? Also are they fire hydrants going through them? I see in this video that a backmount diver got through them so they can't be that bad.

I get in with double 130s backmounted and 2 stages pushed in front of me. It is tight coming and going. Can also get through cleanly at not my fault. Flow varies, can be near impossible to swim against without ropes to totally able to swim it without ropes.

ROPES ARE THERE FOR A REASON, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE, JUST USE THEM

The system is delicate and beautiful. I really dislike seeing training occur there. People need solid skills to protect it. It is a great site for experienced divers and a very fun dive.

Among the first places I searched. But they don't give details on the restrictions and the relative size. Since the only training allowed on the upstream side is Advanced Sidemount I was thinking that they might be pretty severe.

I try to gather as much information as I can on a dive site before I visit. I don't want to end up in a situation that is beyond my experience and skill.

I get in with double 130s backmounted and 2 stages pushed in front of me. It is tight coming and going. Can also get through cleanly at not my fault. Flow varies, can be near impossible to swim against without ropes to totally able to swim it without ropes.

ROPES ARE THERE FOR A REASON, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE, JUST USE THEM

The system is delicate and beautiful. I really dislike seeing training occur there. People need solid skills to protect it. It is a great site for experienced divers and a very fun dive.

Sounds like something that wouldn't be too terribly difficult for a sidemount diver in LP85s to navigate.

And don't worry I have less kick power than most people in caves, so I won't hesitate to use the pull ropes.

Agree with @Jack Hammer. Kate and Adam generally have the most recent condition reports. Have seen everything from no flow to getting a workout pulling yourself along the ropes flow. Deco out downstream or enjoy one of the prettier caverns in FL. Go slow through the entrance and don’t lose the line when you’re exiting back out through the opening “restrictions.” Pretty roomy in sidemount but still has some twists. If you can find someone who has been there the first time you go, I’d recommend it. Definitely a “go further if you go slow” reminder type cave when it’s flowing.

I had the opportunity to dive there 2 weeks ago. I'm not feeling 100% good about my buoyancy in a cave just yet (trying to dial in the weight of the unit, bailouts, etc.) and I decided to skip it. I'll get comfortable eventually and Cow will still be there for me.

Among the first places I searched. But they don't give details on the restrictions and the relative size. Since the only training allowed on the upstream side is Advanced Sidemount I was thinking that they might be pretty severe.

I try to gather as much information as I can on a dive site before I visit. I don't want to end up in a situation that is beyond my experience and skill.

Sounds like something that wouldn't be too terribly difficult for a sidemount diver in LP85s to navigate.

And don't worry I have less kick power than most people in caves, so I won't hesitate to use the pull ropes.

Gotcha. I make it with back mounted rebreather and 80's. Tall and wide! Someone once told me that fat guys in backmount make it.... you'll be fine.

The restrictions at the upstream entrance are tight but passable in backmount doubles. Sidemount should be fine, but remember they are tight. I've gotten stuck in the cave with a CCR on and had to no-mount the exit before, I don't recommend going in on CCR.

The gold line starts immediately on the other side of the first restriction, I *ALWAYS* run a reel to this, and if there's another team, we'll discuss sharing the reel.

Use the ski rope, the clay banks are way too delicate and have been damaged more than once. I took this photo of arrows that were carved in the clay banks back in 1998 and two months ago I had to repair additional damage from some inconsiderate person that put a hand in the clay bank.

bad-2.jpg

It's a neat cave and a pretty dive and buying the site was a great thing that the NSS-CDS did for the community. I would recommend going with someone that's been there before just to give you an orientation on the site.

I dive Cow in 130s backmount and a stage. My dive buddy in 85s sidemount with a stage.

We don't push our stages in front of us, the stages are clipped to our left sides and we're able to get in and out of Cow, and manage the restrictions.

It's a pretty cave, the clay banks are so beautiful. Every time I see the clay banks I think of pastries with its many layers of colors, Yes, I'm am ruled by my stomach.

Safe dives to you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom