My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this post, I am not sure I’d feel safe climbing a 8m ladder with equipment on my back.

Has anyone ever slipped and fallen ?

I have. A wave came along at just the wrong time. Mask on my forehead*, regulator out, since I'd been waiting for others to get on board. I pushed the mask back and put the reg in as I fell (earning lots of style points from the crew, that *almost* offset the ones I lost falling in the first place). Fortunately, nobody was crowding the ladder. A set of LP98s would not do anyone's head any good at all...

* No, I wasn't in distress. I don't know where some of this stuff comes from. I do know that nasal congestion nearly always becomes uncomfortable when I surface, and that blowing my nose inside the mask is nowhere near as convenient as blowing my nose outside the mask.

Christmas tree ladder, fins ON, time your grab to the ladder at the start of the downstroke, be a flag until the bottom. Set your feet before the upstroke, go fetal to preserve your mask and reg. Ride out the first upstroke, wait for the downstroke, gain ONE step for both feet at the bottom, go fetal, repeat until you are onboard FULLY kitted up.

IMHO.

you said it - dive planning with an 8m ladder is me planning not to dive - F that, there’s many boats in the ocean

That's the best post I've read on SB in years! I cannot imagine climbing a 8m ladder in a wetsuit with gear on. Talk about dangerous.

you said it - dive planning with an 8m ladder is me planning not to dive - F that, there’s many boats in the ocean
I somehow assumed that it was a ladder to get back in town at low tide, not a ladder on the boat itself

I somehow assumed that it was a ladder to get back in town at low tide, not a ladder on the boat itself

An 8m ladder on a boat would be like diving off a small freighter.

I’ve seen bunches of ladders and staircases down to beaches or caves but that’s not bouncing around in the ocean... if you can get dry, breakdown gear and make multiple trips much different..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom