Fins for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jet Fins are NOT for everybody.....they are heavy in and out of the water, and the foot pocket shape doesn't work for everyone.
You've got to find the fins that work for YOU, not copy something that works for someone else.
Take with a grain of salt anyone who says there is only one fin that is any good.

Just a good set of paddle fins (aka jet fins). You don't want long fins. Several manufactures make these. Some of the popular ones are from Deep6, Scubapro, and OMS.

Just a good set of paddle fins (aka jet fins). You don't want long fins. Several manufactures make these. Some of the popular ones are from Deep6, Scubapro, and OMS.
Jet Fins are what ScubaPro makes. Others make fins with different names. Deep6 fins are not Jet Fins. OMS fins ar not Jet Fins.
Not all paddle fins are Jet Fins. "Paddle" just means a blade, not not split.
Not all ScubaPro fins are Jet Fins. But ALL Jet fins are made by Scuba Pro.
Some fins look like Jet Fins, but you will find some differences in shape, materials, foot pocket, strap, stiffness, weight, etc.
Just to get the terminology right.....

Mares Quattro or Hollis F2
OP, this is a good example. For me, the F2 is very uncomfortable, wrong foot-pocket shape. I also found it too floppy for my diving, I needed something stiffer. But it was certainly light and nice and short, for travel! I sold them to someone who loves them.
You have GOT to try fins out and see what works for you.

I own D6, Jets, and Hollis F1's. I like them all but prefer the D6 for wet and the Hollis for dry. Between the Hollis and Jets I prefer the Hollis, but they have the spring instead if the rubber strap, and tend to be easier to don / doff.

I think the Hollis feel like a negative D6.

OP, this is a good example. For me, the F2 is very uncomfortable, wrong foot-pocket shape. I also found it too floppy for my diving, I needed something stiffer. But it was certainly light and nice and short, for travel! I sold them to someone who loves them.
You have GOT to try fins out and see what works for you.
I'll agree about the F2 performance and foot pocket. It's not my go to fin and very selective in the tech dives I use them with. Warm water, 3mm suit, AL80's, AL40 for deco, no or little current or flow.
Taught a AN/DP course on Grand Cayman last year followed by a week of rec diving. They worked "okay"
Looking at the Apek RK3. If they work, the F2 will be a pool fin.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom