Max Benjamin of Walindi Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It is with a terribly heavy heart that I make this post.....

But, I just lost a long time friend, Max Benjamin....the owner of Walindi Plantation Resort on New Britain Island in Papua New Guinea.

My heart is numb.

If you've never been to PNG, it's a big loss. If you've never been to Walindi, you haven't been to one of the earliest pioneering dive operations in that country. If you never had the opportunity to meet Max, you missed the chance to meet one of the crustiest, funniest, kindest, most generous people I know.

His resort hired more people than it needed, to help support the local village. He built and supported a school to insure a decent education for the village children.

I could go on and on about how badly this man will be missed by so many people. I have plans to spend a month there, in 2022. I know there will be a big hole left by his not being there, that will never quite be filled.

Rest in peace, Max.....tell Dickie Doyle a joke for me.

FB_IMG_1594873722361.jpg

FB_IMG_1594873722361.jpg
It is with a terribly heavy heart that I make this post.....

But, I just lost a long time friend, Max Benjamin....the owner of Walindi Plantation Resort on New Britain Island in Papua New Guinea.

My heart is numb.

If you've never been to PNG, it's a big loss. If you've never been to Walindi, you haven't been to one of the earliest pioneering dive operations in that country. If you never had the opportunity to meet Max, you missed the chance to meet one of the crustiest, funniest, kindest, most generous people I know.

His resort hired more people than it needed, to help support the local village. He built and supported a school to insure a decent education for the village children.

I could go on and on about how badly this man will be missed by so many people. I have plans to spend a month there, in 2022. I know there will be a big hole left by his not being there, that will never quite be filled.

Rest in peace, Max.....tell Dickie Doyle a joke for me.

Hi Allison, I don't often peruse the pages of Scubaboard anymore, but I happen to catch your post here. I am very sad to hear about Max. And also about Dickie! I had the pleasure to meet the both of them while on expedition aboard Febrina back in 2003. We stopped and picked up Dickie and he cruised a few days with us. We finished the trip at Walindi where I met Max. Truly a remarkable place and man. Your photo of him brings back such memories of one of the absolutely most incredible places we have ever been and one we definitely plan to return to. Rest in peace, Max and Dickie...

Back
Top Bottom