Mask Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmark18

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The glass in my ScubaPro frameless mask has become unglued on one side. The glass has a custom prescription installed and I would prefer not to have to pay for a new mask and lenses. Can the glass be properly and safely reglued? If so what product will do the job properly?

The glass in my ScubaPro frameless mask has become unglued on one side. The glass has a custom prescription installed and I would prefer not to have to pay for a new mask and lenses. Can the glass be properly and safely reglued? If so what product will do the job properly?

If it came out of the frame on its own without any external factor, it maybe a case for mfg. defect and may be covered by warranty. As far as I know from previous experience, it really can't be fixed reliably.

The mask is so old it is definitely not a manufacturing defect

I doubt very much that you can fix it and still be reliable. You may try to remove the lens on it and then using them on a new mask.

I have mine since circa 2000 and the only problem I had with it was a broken strap. I had one that was new, unused in its original box that was sitting as a spare on the shelf for at least 15 years and when I wanted to use it, it was leaking due to the glass coming out of the frame, SP replaced it for free :)

Scubapro could very easily replace the mask under warranty and it is very possible, even very likely that they will. But, that will not resolve the issue with the prescription lenses.

The good news about that is that whoever installed the lenses (Prescription Dive Mask in California, or See the Sea in Texas, or whoever else) should be able to un-bond and remove the lenses and bond them to your new mask. If the prescription is still good for you, reusing the lenses is a lot less expensive that new lenses. I know Prescription Dive Mask in California advertises the service in their website (under the FAQ) and they will probably do any mask even if they didn't originally do the job. I have had very good service from them.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom