Diving Morehead City in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s no way they can provide a 48 hour guarantee on the weather. You’re looking at morning of notification.

I lucked out the only trip I took diving to NC, but if I go again...the only way I would do it is if I have backup plans for something to do if the weather causes a cancellation. I’ve heard of people going to dive off NC get an entire week of diving blown out.

The only way I would consider a trip during the winter (assuming you can find a boat dive operator that’s running) is if I had backup plans. The bigger question is whether or not the boat is going to leave the dock...not whether or not you’re going to see sharks.

When I called a couple operators one winter...they indicated that the only diving they were doing was via trips to warm water destinations. Ex. Florida. If I was going to do a fly and dive in December...I’d be looking at FL. It’s not a sure thing that time of year, but your odds are likely better of leaving the dock there than NC.
Thanks for the advice!

Just to give an idea of how the conditions can change in nc. Last week i went out with the Instagator out of Swansboro, and the sea was glass, but because of storms passing close by the visibility was 0 on three different wrecks. I tried again yesterday, and the seas were 3 to 5 feet and choppy, but we managed to get 2 dives in off shore. Also i cannot recommend Instagator enough. Captain cindy dives all year around, she could probably accommodate for an additional passenger, and she runs a 6 pack boat instead of a cattle boat like other operations.

I have heard good things about Instigator several times but haven't been out with them myself yet, thanks for the feedback.

Just to give an idea of how the conditions can change in nc. Last week i went out with the Instagator out of Swansboro, and the sea was glass, but because of storms passing close by the visibility was 0 on three different wrecks. I tried again yesterday, and the seas were 3 to 5 feet and choppy, but we managed to get 2 dives in off shore. Also i cannot recommend Instagator enough. Captain cindy dives all year around, she could probably accommodate for an additional passenger, and she runs a 6 pack boat instead of a cattle boat like other operations.

I have heard good things about Instigator several times but haven't been out with them myself yet, thanks for the feedback.

I sent her a message this morning. Would love to get out on a smaller boat. Any suggestions inshore ($110) vs offshore ($140)?

I'm just looking to see some cool wrecks, never dove NC before, so pretty much everything will look great to me. I'd prefer shallow longer, but if off shore is really all that much better I'm open to it.

I sent her a message this morning. Would love to get out on a smaller boat. Any suggestions inshore ($110) vs offshore ($140)?

I'm just looking to see some cool wrecks, never dove NC before, so pretty much everything will look great to me. I'd prefer shallow longer, but if off shore is really all that much better I'm open to it.

There's plenty to see in NC, both offshore and closer in. If it's your first time in NC you can't really go wrong, you aren't going to miss out by staying inshore, you'll get good dives in, as long as the weather agrees. There are some can't miss dives in that area, but get a few NC dives under your belt first and then check out the U-352 and my personal favorite in that area, the Aeolus.

There are many inshore wrecks that are great dives, but offshore tends to have better visibility because of the gulfstream. And i agree with @AustinV the 352 and the aeolus are two of the most popular wrecks to dive

Ok, we are heading down to dive with Cindy and the aggressor. Talked her yesterday, pretty open to take us anywhere. Very excited. Just waiting on confirmation that we're good and booked.

Does anyone know temp for this time of year? I only really have a drysuit and a 7mm wetsuit, I think I'm ok in a drysuit, but I don't want to be overkill either. I think I read somewhere it's 70f (ish)?

Yeah, you're probably looking at 65-70 degree water easily. I usually this time of year would be in a 5 mm or dry with light undergarments.

Yeah, you're probably looking at 65-70 degree water easily. I usually this time of year would be in a 5 mm or dry with light undergarments.

Awesome. Thanks.

@rob.mwpropane. Obviously temps will vary from year to year, but when I last dove in early Dec, water temps were 55 inshore and 65 offshore. I would expect temps be in the low 70s, but always best to just check with your captain. For inshore, there are two wrecks that most often visited, the Indra and the JJF tugs, both are about 70'. The Indra was a pretty neat dive, but it has really collapsed in recent years, to the point that some parts of the wreck aren't recognizable. As such, I prefer the tugs now. They are fairly small, but you can visit both on the same dive. I prefer the offshore wrecks because you usually (no guarantees) get better viz and much more likely to see the sand tigers. Sorry if this has been covered before, but the Sub, Aeolus, & Spar are all at 115'. You can hit a tad deeper than 120' on the Atlas and Papoose. If you looking for an offshore wreck that is a little shallower (to maximize your bottom time), then your best bet is the Caribsea. It's broken up, but lots of life and it sits at 90'.

Back
Top Bottom