Galling. (Preventative Measures.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with stainless fasteners is that a very small percentage will gall for no apparent reason. It's safer to put a lubricant on the threads than deal with that very small percentage. Silicone grease, tef gel, or anything similar will work.

I don't do anything special with mine. Use hand tools and you won't generate enough heat for galling. They don't have to be nearly as tight as you think they do, especially since the tanks do actually expand when filled so you're getting "sufficiently snug" when they're empty, then the bottles expand into the bands and tighten them naturally.
Thanks. I'll just be careful not to distort the plate.
Cheers.

Cheap stainless galls easier than good stainless. Don't over tighten, us a product specifically for the application such as.

Never Seize Mariner's Choice Anti-Seize

Another option is applying 2-3 wraps of Teflon tape routinely used on tapered pipe threads. It is a good choice in wet and dirty environments where grease is harder to apply or keep from collecting grit.

I try to use brass on stainless threads when possible, especially on chamber hull penetrations.

Cheap stainless galls easier than good stainless.

I find that cut threads gall much more readily than rolled threads, regardless of the grade. Chasing stainless female taper threads with a tap is at very high risk of galling.

Another option is applying 2-3 wraps of Teflon tape routinely used on tapered pipe threads. It is a good choice in wet and dirty environments where grease is harder to apply or keep from collecting grit.

I try to use brass on stainless threads when possible, especially on chamber hull penetrations.

I find that cut threads gall much more readily than rolled threads, regardless of the grade. Chasing stainless female taper threads with a tap is at very high risk of galling.
Hello. The brand is Highland. They came recommended, and at a good price.
We'll see tomorrow.
Cheers.

Highland bands and stainless steel hardware are simply awesome. Make sure you rinse after contact with salt water, but other than that: just enjoy.

are they nylock nuts? or just standard nuts with lock washers? if the former they can inexplicably gall - and light oil will allow the nylon to slip and help avoid this. if standard nuts there's nothing special to do

are they nylock nuts? or just standard nuts with lock washers? if the former they can inexplicably gall - and light oil will allow the nylon to slip and help avoid this. if standard nuts there's nothing special to do
Hey @rjack321 I'm not positive. I don't have the box with me. I bought brand new Highland double 2" bands, the hardware was in a separate bag.
I do intend on being cautious, and methodical tomorrow.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom