Galling. (Preventative Measures.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Breakwater

"Outlaw." Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. I'm setting up my new Faber L.P. 95's as doubles. I'm using Highland bands.
The hardware is brand new in a bag.
Should I still clean the threads with a toothbrush, and detergent, or leave them as is?
Also, should I use molybdenum disulfide, or is 3 in 1 oil acceptable. I'm trying to prevent even the slightest galling.
@boulderjohn and @tbone1004 chiming in would be appreciated.
Cheers.

If your tanks are new and clean, leave it as is. If they have been used, a wipe would help.

Before you do all that, though, are you intending to have partial pressure blending done in them, requiring O2 cleaning?

If your tanks are new and clean, leave it as is. If they have been used, a wipe would help.

Before you do all that, though, are you intending to have partial pressure blending done in them, requiring O2 cleaning?
Everything is brand new. The tanks, and valves were O2 cleaned, and are currently filled with Nitrox. I don't remember the percentage. Naturally, I'll analyze them before I dive.
Nothing has seen water.
Cheers.

Apologies in advance, I have nothing to contribute. But saw the thread title, and not where it was located, and thought "By the gods, this should be interesting".

DW

Apologies in advance, I have nothing to contribute. But saw the thread title, and not where it was located, and thought "By the gods, this should be interesting".

DW
Ha. No problem. I'll P.M. you some photos when they're set up. Also, diving one of my Apeks Black Ice B.C.D.s for the first time with a single Faber H.P. 120.
Cheers.
What? I derailed my own thread? W.T.F.
:banghead::rofl3:
Unbelievable.

Ha ha ha!!!! You did kinda, didn't ya?! I might have been a little help.

Would love to see the pics! Tell ya what, I will trade ya pics. I just refinished my 95's and am putting them back together. I will send you pics, too.

Take care

DW

I don't do anything special with mine. Use hand tools and you won't generate enough heat for galling. They don't have to be nearly as tight as you think they do, especially since the tanks do actually expand when filled so you're getting "sufficiently snug" when they're empty, then the bottles expand into the bands and tighten them naturally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom