Dive Insurance for Discover Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never seen anyone specifically ask about dive insurance for a DSD before so I was curious.

That's fine, but tell me why I shouldn't be. Trust me, I'm more than happy to not deal with this particular detail :)

I’ve never seen anyone specifically ask about dive insurance for a DSD before so I was curious.
Same. It was mentioned about instructors being able to cover OW students one way or another, but does that include DSD students or just those in an OW course?

Interesting the OP's question hasn't come up before. But what would you do, contact DAN or another company and purchase insurance for maybe one half hour OW dive (plus maybe the same time or so in the pool)? Probably very few if any have given that any thought, if in fact it can be done.

Someone suggested checking with one's regular insurance (Blue Cross? Trip insurance?, etc.) to see if a non-certified diver is covered or just a certified one, both, or neither.

That's one thing I did check: a travel medical policy with a "hazardous sports" rider (from Seven Corners) covers:

scuba diving only to a depth of 10 meters with a breathing apparatus provided that you are SSI, PADI or NAUI certified;

That's one thing I did check: a travel medical policy with a "hazardous sports" rider (from Seven Corners) covers:

scuba diving only to a depth of 10 meters with a breathing apparatus provided that you are SSI, PADI or NAUI certified;

Always a good idea to read your insurance policies, even if it can be painful.

My health insurance covers diving while within the certifications I hold but specifically excludes solo diving. It also covers training dives. I would think that a DSD would qualify under that.

My insurance covers all certification agencies, not just the big 3.

I have to ask - why are you concerned about dive insurance for a DSD?

I personally know the case of a person getting inner ear barotrauma doing DS. He didn't know how to properly equalize and forced it. I don't know personally of any other injuries, but my medical mind can imagine scenarios that might make insurance a good idea as rare as it is to get in trouble doing DS. There may be statistics of prevalence out there somewhere that would be interesting.

Here, DSDs are normally done in pools due to climate. Only very occasionally out at the local quarry - and even then probably no more than 15ft deep. So I doubt it would enter anyone's mind to ask about insurance for a DSD.

For the record, I wouldn't consider it for the pool either. But the DSD in Mexico includes the shore training and an (optional) Discover Boat Diving on two different reefs.

If the insurance is an overwhelming concern, I'd suggest having the friend do a pool DSD wherever you live, and if he likes it enough, do an OW course with checkout dives in MX, if OW students would be covered.

He lives in another country and most likely can't afford it. That's why I was going to treat him to discover while I went along. I would also like to make sure that if something happens, no matter how slim of a chance, that he'd be covered for it.

I respectfully ask that you stop questioning my motives and providing meta discussion about my question, characterizing my question about insurance as an "overwhelming concern" as though it's not a logical thing to ask. Please just kindly move on if you don't want to answer.

Back
Top Bottom