Problems with the i770R

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david_ak

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the buttons not responding on their i770R? Just dove 24 dives with the new i770r and came to love and hate it. It was very frustrating when it didn't respond at all during a dive or after in Dive mode. That also meant I could never get it out of Dive mode. Now that 24 hours has passed I was able to move up one menu item before it stopped. It's on firmware 1E.02. Thanks

Yes I have had problems with two i770R's.First one got stuck in firmware update via bluetooth as USb inteface through diverlog did not work .(Diverlog + app works on I phone to update).Replacement failed after 6 dives during charging and has intermittently turned on since.Has now failed completely and wont even respond to charging cable . I am returning under warranty and asking for a refund.I won't accept a replacement as third time lucky is not good enough for a 1k plus peice of essential safety equipment

I just sent my i770R in again. 1st one froze on firmware update 5 minutes out of the box, so they sent me a new one. 2nd one would change depth and altitude mid dive. I would be diving above 7000' and mid dive it would shift to sea level and shift to 4 feet of depth when I was between 15 and 20 feet. It also had constant connection problems. They sent me another new one. 3rd one worked for about a few dives then froze when I surfaced. It said it was saving data and nothing changed for 24 hours until the battery died. I then charge the battery to see if I could retrieve the data. No luck getting any of the data. It also had constant connection problems. It is now back to Aqualung with a request for a refund. I don't want a 4th one. On each dive I use my old computer as a backup. I am glad since I could continue diving that day with the backup. Each trip to Aqualung took more than a month. I cannot trust Aqualung computers. Good thing I was diving locally and not on a trip that cost me several thousand dollars.

3rd time was the charm?
Well, they sent me a 4th one. The first dive right out of the box was in a lake at 8000 ft.(Tony Grove in Utah). Half way through the dive it started do indicate that I was at the surface. I looked up and could see I was at least 15 ft. deep. The rest of the dive while I was in 15 to 20 of water it would report my depth to be 4-5 feet, then at the surface and back to 6 feet. it was all over the place. After I got out I check on the rest of the data and it changed to sea level. Why does it change elevation mid-dive? The first half of the dive was spot and in total agreement with my spare computer I also carried with me.

I dove in Yellowstone Lake in July. Since it is an altitude dive (7733 ft), I was concerned my i770R would again shift to sea level midway thru the dive. To my surprise it didn't, it worked properly.

Two weeks later, I went to Strawberry res. at 7612 for a dive and again it shifted to sea level near the end of the dive. Suddenly it said I was at the surface, I looked up and could see I was close to 15 ft deep.

Their computers probably work just fine at the sea level, but totally fail at altitude. Over the 14 Months since I purchase my i770R it has been with Aqualung for more than 4 months. Everyone that asks me why I still use my 20 year old Oceanic Dateplus 2, I tell them my story and don't want to get an Aqualung computer either.

Went on a dive this weekend on my third dive, computer shows dive time at 89min. On my way home, alarm goes off saying no psi/ 0 str and on dive 5 with depth of 6ft. I was driving my car in about 3 hrs after the end of my dive trip. My dive buddy (on his 2nd i770r), his computer never even turned on. We both bought these around the same time a year ago.

I sent my computer in again (4th one) since it can't function properly at altitude. We again asked for my money back. They have now sent me a 5th computer. The dive shop is now asking his rep for my money back. I do not trust Aqualung computers to function properly. I will never buy another Aqualung computer ever. I may never buy another Aqualung product again, depending on how the response back to the dive shop. I am about to buy a new Regulator, but it will not an Aqualung unless they refund my money on the computer.

My LDS was able to get my money back and got me a Shearwater Perdix. This is a great computer and just works. No tricks, no problems, it just works. Even the software is far better than anything I experienced with Aqualung. I'm sure other Aqualung products a great. Just not their computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom