Your most expensive dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a while of Trimix diving with scooters and "buying" the dive boat, you stop counting.

But I would guess my most "expensive" dive was that 10 min dive into Ginnie, (20 min total) Left work on a Thursday, drove 5 hours to G'ville, booked hotel rooms for 3 nights, light trimix, deco and scooters, 10 min in, buddy gets feeling sick, we turn, hope he feels better the next day, doesn't, so we drive home the next morning.

Winner!!! (I think it was a better one than @Wookie , but just barely)
And if we were to compare number of dives, he'd smoke me there as well. I would bow to having my boat run over by a freighter to choosing a lousy instructor.

My Rescue course was the most expensive. The instructor and other students were super enthusiastic. The other students owned their own gear. I was still renting except for mask, fins and computer.

The bunch of them got me hooked. I was in the shop buying gear the next day and have been diving constantly since.

Flooding a $400 dive computer would be mine.
Yup. Luckily I haven't flooded a camera in well over 10 years, but I now consider any camera I dive with to be potentially expendable. Any camera that I dive with is one that I can walk away from. That is not to say that I am haphazard in my "care & feeding" of my camera gear. On the contrary, I am meticulous. I have just learned over the years that accidents can and do happen.

The trip where I was quoted in local currency for helium, but really was charged the same number in USD!!

Worth every penny though

Most expensive lesson? Backgas failure on a DPV dependant tech dive, and lost (for a week) my camera rig, and my dignity....

_R

I can think of a local shop that did a Bahamas trip, during a hurricane. Some of the people got a dive in, but not everyone got in the water. They were comped the trip (boat), but not the airfare nor the shore hotel.

In Mexico, on the day that I planned to go sightseeing, I got a last minute call to go diving. We did the dive, went for lunch, came back to the car and found that pretty much all our gear was stolen; probably $15K worth!

There was a short thread about it in the incident forum in 2018.

Long story short and the incident has not been resolved so I'll be vague.

We were diving offshore on a multiday commercial trip when we were struck at night by a freighter, sunk and subsequently rescued by our amazing and underappreciated USCG.

We all ( 3 ) lived although not without some consequences. Boat, compressor and all gear as well as a lot of personal and business stuff was onboard.
When everything is done legally, I'll post up what I am able.
One thing you can be assured of is that practically no one takes enough safety precautions and few have enough safety gear when it really matters.

Wow, compared to many of the responses here, I'm not in the same league. The dive I consider the most expensive was during my trimix certification. $80 for the charter, $120 for back gas, $30 deco gas, $25 tip. This doesn't include my travel, food, lodging, and course fee, but let's call is $255, all in for the day.

I've easily spent this on many other dives, but I consider this one my most expensive given what I got to see. The current was screaming and it was my first hot drop. When the captain yelled "dive, dive, dive". We did. We then missed the wreck. So it was 255 bucks to look at sand for 5 minutes.

Last year we (my wife and I) visited Peru. My wife wanted to visit MachuPichu, Cusco and the Lines of Nazca. The first city to visit was Lima. I've asked before the trip to dive in Lima. I've heard of nice spots to dive there.
I've contacted a dive operator in Lima. They told me that the cost of the dive could vary depending on the amount of divers that show up the day of the dive. If there were many, the cost would be US$ 150, and that cost is valid if there are only 4 divers or more. If there are less than 4 the cost would increase accordingly. 3 divers - 200, 2 divers - 300 and 1 diver - 600. Thanks a lot. I didn't dive in Lima.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom