Frecking HP hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or just ignore it. As long as it's bubbling you are fine. If it stops you might have a problem:)

Do I see an o-ring on the transmitter? Should it be there when using a hose?
If replacing the seals don't work, try a different type of spool. There are a few different types of spools-you may just have to find the correct one.

If you look at a cross section of how those crimped fittings work. There is an inner metal tube that goes from inside the rubber to the spool. The rubber hose slips over that. The sheetmetal of that gets crimped squishes the rubber onto that tube. If the crimped fitting isn't sealing, there is a path for air to pass between the tube and the rubber and leak out at the end.

Or you can have a pin hole between the inner rubber and the reinforcing cords. Usually this will pass through and you will get a bubble in the hose, or the hose will fizz. But it could chase the reinforcing cords and bleed out at the end.

Any of the above are the same fix, new hose.

Reactions: Zef
The old hose had lasted 56 years so I think I got my money's worth.

Why so freakin soon? You are just wasting money, you could have had a year or two or more out of the hose if you just used duct tape. You are such a waster :p

I assembled my gear last night for a dive this morning and had a HP hose leak. Mine was from a pinhole leak in the hose itself so I just replaced the hose with a new one from my save-a-dive kit. The old hose had lasted 56 years so I think I got my money's worth. :)

I have some normal length hp hoses that have quite a number of years behind them and they ate still going strong, but the short hoses are not giving me any luck. The one that is leaking today is only a year old (+/- a few months).

-Z

If you look at a cross section of how those crimped fittings work. There is an inner metal tube that goes from inside the rubber to the spool. The rubber hose slips over that. The sheetmetal of that gets crimped squishes the rubber onto that tube. If the crimped fitting isn't sealing, there is a path for air to pass between the tube and the rubber and leak out at the end.

Or you can have a pin hole between the inner rubber and the reinforcing cords. Usually this will pass through and you will get a bubble in the hose, or the hose will fizz. But it could chase the reinforcing cords and bleed out at the end.

Any of the above are the same fix, new hose.

This make sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Any reason, in your opinion, that shorter hp hoses are more susceptible to this mode of failure? I have never had a normal length hp hose fail but this is my 2nd short hose that has.

-Z

The spool is meant to bridge the gap between the hose and the gauge, if the spool seals the nut end of the hose isn’t under pressure. It may just be that the fitting end, the spool mating area, isn’t sized right or has worn (seems unlikely to be a wear thing)

Hmmm....the spool seems to have mated fine in the past, and it mates fine when installed on other short and long hp hoses I have.

Any reason why, in your opinion, it would just stop working correctly? And why it wod be more prevalent with shorter (6 inch) hoses?

-Z

Why so freakin soon? You are just wasting money, you could have had a year or two or more out of the hose if you just used duct tape. You are such a waster :p

If I had not just run out of duct tape patching a pesky hairline crack in the neck of my HP 80 tank I would have done so. :cheers:

Hmmm....the spool seems to have mated fine in the past, and it mates fine when installed on other short and long hp hoses I have.

Any reason why, in your opinion, it would just stop working correctly? And why it wod be more prevalent with shorter (6 inch) hoses?

-Z
A short hose, when bent, places a lot more stress on the ends, that may well transfer to the spool gaskets as well as to the hose itself. No hose or a longer hose may help.

Back
Top Bottom