Antique bottle hunting in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hauling these old bottles down from the attic kinda renewed my interest, and I've been looking them up on the web. Some have some pretty interesting stories. From what I could find, most appear to date from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, and look to be fairly collectible, though still not really worth a whole lot.
I just took s couple more pics.
The below 4 bottles (left to right) all have raised lettering on them which say...

J. Grossman & sons
Perfumers
London

Scott's emulsion
cod liver oil
With lime and soda

Dr. Bells pine tar honey
For coughs and colds

Henry K. Wampole & co. Inc.
Philadelphia, pa. USA
20201004_091624.jpg

These next 4 bottles are all interesting and in nice shape (no cracks like some of the previous 4 ).
One of them ( #3) has an unusual irridescent,rainbow sheen to the glass surface,not sure what that indicates. All of them have bubbles in the glass and various other inconsisencies.
BTW, these were all found in the harbor area right in front of town, and I'm sure there are more to be found. If the ones I've found have lasted a hundred years or so,there has to be more that have survived the last 20. If anyone is on the island and has some time to kill , this could make for an interesting shore dive, and I'd love to see some more get salvaged.

20201004_092351.jpg

The "Something Special" reef in Bonaire was named due to the number of "Something Special" whiskey bottle collected during a clean-up dive years ago. Find where people like to drink along the shoreline and you are likely to find bottles.

A friend worked as a docent at one of the Civil War coastal forts and after hours would walk around the now dry moat with a metal rod probing for bottles. Had an impressive collection by the time he retired.

Back
Top Bottom