The most dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost a lot of log books in a flood years ago . found only 10 I could read, the last entry said I had 2,252 hours [135,081 min ] under water and it's 10 years old! so I started again with both paper and PC not long ago [big gap in recording].
Dive computers make it so easy when you forget dives [I have forgotten plenty], pressure increases, brain decreases, and after dive drinks don't help on a dive trip.
I was a Navy diver for 19 of my 20 years in, so they were logged and signed [got paid more!],Dive instructor for close to 20years and ran a dive boat charter, you get so busy [or too tired] you forget.

I did have one occasion where a dive operator inquired about my experience, I mentioned one place I hit and he said “oh, you’re good then.”

Funny story. I was on a dive boat here in So. Cal. back in the 1990's. A local sporting good store/dive shop had chartered the boat and they brought along their own store divemaster. I had been invited to tag along by the boat's captain so I had no affiliation with the chartering dive shop, but I did know their owner/master instructor. The divemaster was a young kid, nice guy, seemed to know what he was doing. So this divemaster comes up to me and asks what my experience level is. I looked at him and asked if he thought his boss was a good diver. He said yes, but so what. I said, "I taught your boss to dive." Enough said. He didn't bother me again for the entire trip. :crafty:

Hello. Regardless, of logged or not. I would put @drbill and @Akimbo and @Sam Miller III and @Angelo Farina in the top 5.
Who is the other one?
Cheers.
I am not in the top 5. I worked as a pro for just 5 years. For most of my life I made less than 50 dives per year...
The total number is less than 1500. Not a large number...
However the number of dives is important, but it is not the only factor defining expertise.
I would also count the number of different locations explored, the usage of different equipment and diving techniques, etc.
Also in this I am very far from being an expert.
I did only breath air in OC and pure oxygen with military-grade CC systems. Never used Nitrox or advanced trimix.
Never used a dry suit. I have only experience in the mediterranean, in alpine lakes, at Maldives and a few days in Australia on the GB.
I am simply quite old, having started diving very early (1970 as a free diver, 1975 with scuba) but age is not a substitute for true experience.
There is people here with experience and knowledge far superior than me. I did learn a lot from them, I am very happy to have discovered Scubaboard one year ago...

...The OP's question is who on SB has the most logged dives. ....

It's good to tell someone young that it is not a "numbers' game. People use numbers to infer expertise, especially in SCUBA. All of us have been on those dive boats hearing some guy pontificating about his 2000+ dives and giving strangers unwanted technical advise based on all his diving knowledge "earned". Then you find out 1999 of those dives were all at Blue Heron bridge or a quarry.

I made my 2500th dive a few days ago. It took me 31 years to reach that number. I would have a lot more if I did what many do. I don't count class dives, pool dives, gear check dives, anchor retrievals, bounce dives, etc. I know a woman who counted ten dives in one day. It sounded like a marathon until I realized she was taking her Rescue Course and all of those dives were less than five minutes each. Sheesh.

It's good to tell someone young that it is not a "numbers' game. People use numbers to infer expertise, especially in SCUBA. All of us have been on those dive boats hearing some guy pontificating about his 2000+ dives and giving strangers unwanted technical advise based on all his diving knowledge "earned". Then you find out 1999 of those dives were all at Blue Heron bridge or a quarry.

That or shallow warm water vacation dives. I get bagging on quarry dives, as most aren’t particularly difficult (from a skills or task loading perspective), but let’s be real...warm water shallow vacation dives (ex. Florida Keys) are even more “push button, get food pellet” than some quarry dives. Ex. Some operators will even assemble the gear for you, the DM will monitor your gas consumption, etc. The diver just has to keep the regulator in their mouth and follow the DM around.

Somewhere over 10,000.

Started diving at age 12 in 1967. Cave trained in 1973--PADI Instructor 1974 - NACD Instructor 1975..Cayman Islands instructor 1978 for a couple of years diving 2 & 3 times/day, US Navy Diving/salvage officer 1982-1986, back to Grand Cayman 1987......over 10 years in the Keys running boats/teaching -- still diving and teaching cave....

I made my 2500th dive a few days ago. It took me 31 years to reach that number. I would have a lot more if I did what many do. I don't count class dives, pool dives, gear check dives, anchor retrievals, bounce dives, etc. I know a woman who counted ten dives in one day. It sounded like a marathon until I realized she was taking her Rescue Course and all of those dives were less than five minutes each. Sheesh.
Change your number to 2,500-4,999. Will you be changing it again.....???

Somewhere over 10,000.

Started diving at age 12 in 1967. Cave trained in 1973--PADI Instructor 1974 - NACD Instructor 1975..Cayman Islands instructor 1978 for a couple of years diving 2 & 3 times/day, US Navy Diving/salvage officer 1982-1986, back to Grand Cayman 1987......over 10 years in the Keys running boats/teaching -- still diving and teaching cave....
Are they all logged? If so, you are in the lead, but need an exact number. Still awaiting others who can answer the OP's question. Remember, it's who has the most when you die that counts......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom